Can't delete file in hidden folder even after changing owner

Old November 12th 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mr. Arnold

Default Can't delete file in hidden folder even after changing owner

Petrarch wrote:

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

You can use the full rights admin account, since the one Vista gives you
out of the box is not a full rights admin account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Yes, tried that, too. I get the same behavior, regardless whether I'm
logged in under my profile or the enabled administrator account.

Did you try going into Safemode to delete the file?
Old November 12th 09, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Petrarch

"Brink" wrote:

Hello Petrarch,

Did you also "allow" your user account "Full Control" in the permission
for the file. You can look at step 18 in Method Two of the tutorial
below for how if needed. You might also try doing this in Safe Mode.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Yes, I did. This is how I able to delete all the other files in the same
folder. Full control was granted appropriately, ownership shows as my
username. I've done this in safe mode. I've run process explorer and
unlocker to see if the file was in use. The filename doesn't have any
special characters. It's biouser.ud5. Your link has some other tricks to
try. I'll have to try those later when I get home from work.

As for installing a linux OS to delete the file, what's the smallest fastest
one to use for this purpose?

Old November 12th 09, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Brink

If you are using a 32-bit Vista, then you might also see if the free
program "Unlocker" may be able to allow you to delete it.

'Unlocker - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET
Download.com'
(http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/30...-10493998.html)

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*

Old November 13th 09, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Brink

Since you have 64-bit, you might see if "LockHunter" may help instead
then.

'Download LockHunter 1.0 Beta 3 - Forcedly removes any files as well as
displays what programs lock them - Softpedia'
(http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ckHunter.shtml)

Petrarch;1189595 Wrote:
"Brink" wrote:

[...]

'*Windows 7 Forums*' ('Windows 7 Forums'

Old November 13th 09, 05:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Petrarch

"Brink" wrote:

Since you have 64-bit, you might see if "LockHunter" may help instead
then.

'Download LockHunter 1.0 Beta 3 - Forcedly removes any files as well as
displays what programs lock them - Softpedia'
(http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ckHunter.shtml)

Thanks, this tool looks useful for other situations in the way that Unlocker
is on 32-bit OS's. In this case, I still get the message "You don't
permission to open this file. Contact the owner..." My username is the
owner. If there were a way to make Windows "think" this file was deleted
successfully, thru a registry hack perhaps, I'm open to suggestions. This
file is like a really stubborn weed.