Can't delete file in hidden folder even after changing owner

Old November 13th 09, 06:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Petrarch

Default Can't delete file in hidden folder even after changing owner

"Brink" wrote:

Since you have 64-bit, you might see if "LockHunter" may help instead
then.

'Download LockHunter 1.0 Beta 3 - Forcedly removes any files as well as
displays what programs lock them - Softpedia'
(http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ckHunter.shtml)

Thanks, this tool looks useful for other situations in the way that Unlocker
is on 32-bit OS's. In this case, I still get the message "You don't
permission to open this file. Contact the owner..." My username is the
owner. If there were a way to make Windows "think" this file was deleted
successfully, thru a registry hack perhaps, I'm open to suggestions. This
file is like a really stubborn weed.
Old November 13th 09, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Brink

I'm about out of ideas myself. Have you already tried deleting it in the
"built-in Admnistrator" account?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

(http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...kHunter.shtml))

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*

Old November 13th 09, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Richard Urban

I have this installed on all of my computers. It has never failed to allow
me to delete folders or files that I choose to delete. It is called take
ownership.reg and it is a registry entry that places a choice in the right
click menu to take ownership of a folder and any sub folder and files
contained therein.

Try it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Petrarch" wrote in message
I restored my vista OS using a system image utility provided by Alienware.
It created a backup folder on the c drive with all the old files in it,
including user profiles. I changed the owner of all files and folders
back
to my account and tried to delete it, but got the UAC messages that I need
allow administrator rights to do so. After clicking yes, I got a message
that permission was denied with the only options of "Try Again" or
"Cancel".
After making visible all hidden files and folders, I was able to drill
down
to the one file I could not delete. I've used the "take ownership" steps
in
Vista explorer properties, and also the "takeown" dos commands, which
report
success that the Administrators group or my account which belongs to the
administrators group, is the owner of the file, and that I have full
control
of it. Even so, I cannot delete this file. In DOS, I get access denied.
In
Explorer, I get the "you need permission to perform this action" message,
with "try again" or "cancel", and it shows that my account (or
administrators
group, doing it that way) is the owner. It's just this one file. I was
able
to delete all other files and folders around this file, but just not this
one.

I wonder if the folder path is so long or so nested that UAC fails to
figure
it out? It was in users\my profile\appdata\roaming\etc. Or is the file
corrupt? The file is a tempory file created by one of those biometric
devices when logged on with your fingerprint, and is supposed to disappear
when you log off, but it seems to have remained there because of a hard
boot.
Is there a utility I can use that can nuke this one lone file?

thanks

Old November 15th 09, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Petrarch

Unfortunately, none of these options worked on this one file. I had to
format the drive and start over. This time around, when I restored from a
system image I did not create a backup folder on the C drive itself.

Taking ownership "should" have worked, and all the various steps repliers
provided were helpful, so don't feel bad. The lockhunter tool for 64-bit
OS's has been added to my IT bag of tricks. I'd been looking for something
that had the same features as unlocker for a while.

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciated the help.

Old November 15th 09, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Brink

Petrarch,

I'm sorry to hear that you had to format the drive to get rid of that
file.

Old December 3rd 09, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
allen

I have removed such files using Ubuntu, downloaded as an ISO and installed
on a bootable thumb drive, using Unetbootin. Such a little item is very
handy and with a decent Thumb drive, is quite impressive.

FWIW, MSE found and removed a trojan installed along with Unlocker on one of
my machines. Moreover Unlocker does not always work, and when it does, I
wonder if it is safe..