Save Old DVDs to Computer

Old November 14th 09, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
C and A Bredt

Default Save Old DVDs to Computer

I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them from
deteriorating.
True?

When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder = VIDEO_TS,
that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.

Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for storage?

Thanks, CB
--
C and A Bredt

Old November 14th 09, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
whs[_8_]

C and A Bredt;1190694 Wrote:
I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them from
deteriorating.
True?

When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder =
VIDEO_TS,
that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.

Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for
storage?

Thanks, CB
--
C and A Bredt

Try this, it`s free. 'How To Rip DVDs with VLC :: the How-To Geek'
(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/...dvds-with-vlc/)

--
whs

Old November 14th 09, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

C and A Bredt wrote:
I had some of my old family movie reels put onto DVDs.
I read that they need to be re-burned every few years to keep them
from deteriorating.
True?

When I look at them with Windows Explorer, there is a folder =
VIDEO_TS, that contains files with extensions = BUP, IFO, VOB.

Can I save them on my computer then later re-burn them to DVDs for
storage?
Thanks, CB

===================================
Yes you can copy the DVD Files to your hard
drive but they take up lots of space. (no need
to RIP personal DVDs.because there is no
copy protection...just copy the files to a folder
on your hard drive)

The following freeware can make an ISO Image
of the DVD, then you can burn the ISO image on
as many copies as you want.

ImgBurn Download:
http://tinyurl.com/bbppnd
or...
http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...0&ssid=0&did=1

How to create an image file from a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

How to write an image file to a disc with ImgBurn
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old November 15th 09, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a straight
copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this gives
best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old November 15th 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

Graham Hughes wrote:
If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a
straight copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this
gives best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

===============================
OK...but you should try ImgBurn...it's
fast and once you have the ISO you
can make as many copies as you want.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old November 17th 09, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
C and A Bredt

"John Inzer" wrote in message
Graham Hughes wrote:
If it were me I'd use a programme like nero or roxio and just do a
straight copy disc to disc of the dvds you wish to keep.
Buy high quality discs, Taiyo Yuden are very good, burn slowly, this
gives best burn. Keep discs in a cool dark place.

===============================
OK...but you should try ImgBurn...it's
fast and once you have the ISO you
can make as many copies as you want.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

I am concerned that if it is stored on the computer in an ISO format
there may come a time when that format is no longer supported
by the computer's OS and programs. Then I would be unable to make the DVD.

If I use Windows Explorer and just copy the files to a folder on
my computer, how would I make a DVD that will play on a
DVD player?

I did copy one to a disk using Windows Explorer.
It plays on the computer, but not on the DVD player. The original
does play on it.

Thanks, CB

--
C and A Bredt