DVD Editing Software Confusion

Old November 20th 09, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JamesJ[_4_]

Default DVD Editing Software Confusion

Vista Basic spa.
I have a dvd/cd rw.
Although software did come with the drive I don't have it installed at this
time
because I'm not sure if it has the features I require.
The more I look to the internet to try to find out what software I need the
worse my
headache gets.
I'll list the things I want to accomplish and hopefully someone here can
point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure of some of the terminology either but I'll attempt to explain
the best I can

1) I want to be able play regular DVDs on my commuter.
2) While playing the dvd I want to be able to pause and clip the still and
save it as a jpg.
3) I want to be able to rip a portion of the DVD and save it to a video file
(mpeg, avi...)
4) Then I'd like to be able to rip 5 to 20 seconds of AUDIO of the ripped
video (or from the original DVD if that's possible) and save it as a wav
file.
5) Create DVDs playable on my DVD player from several video file formats
like one can do with Windows DVD Maker but isn't included in Vista Basic.

I would prefer a suite with all these feature if possible.

Any help will be appreciated,
James

Old November 21st 09, 08:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

JamesJ wrote:
1) I want to be able play regular DVDs on my commuter.

============================
(Answers in line...long message)

Info on DVD Decoders:
Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
http://tinyurl.com/j9e29
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/plugins.aspx

Or...try VLC Media Player:

VLC Media Player
http://www.videolan.org/

Or...you might consider the following codec pack:

*Proceed At Your Own Risk*

CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack)
http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...itle=Main_Page
(FWIW...it's always best if you create a System Restore
point before installing any software or updates)
============================

2) While playing the dvd I want to be able to pause and clip the
still and save it as a jpg.

============================
VLC Media Player
http://www.videolan.org/

To setup for your screen captures...open VLC and
go to...Tools / Preferences / Video button / Video
Snapshots section.

In the directory field...Browse to and select a folder
to save your captures in. (for example...you could
create a new folder on your desktop and select it)

At...Prefix...check the box...Sequential numbering.

At...Format...choose JPEG or PNG.

Finally.....left click the 'Save' button.

Now...Play the video and pause by pressing your
Spacebar when you see a screen you wish to capture.

To capture the screen...type... Shift+S

Press spacebar to advance to the next photo...
ect...etc...
============================

3) I want to be able to rip a portion of the DVD and save it to a
video file (mpeg, avi...)

============================
How To Rip DVDs with VLC
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/...dvds-with-vlc/
============================

4) Then I'd like to be able to rip 5 to 20 seconds of AUDIO of the
ripped video (or from the original DVD if that's possible) and save
it as a wav file.

============================
AoA Audio Extractor FREE
http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

AoA Tutorial: How To Extract Audio From Video -
Create Your Own MP3 files From Video Clips
http://mp3.about.com/od/tutorials/ht/Video_to_audio.htm
============================

5) Create DVDs playable on my DVD player from several video file
formats like one can do with Windows DVD Maker but isn't included in
Vista Basic.

============================
(FWIW) It's always a good idea to create a System
Restore Point before installing software or updates)

DVD Flick
http://www.dvdflick.net/

Be sure to read the Guide:
http://www.dvdflick.net/guide.php

If you have problems downloading DVD Flick...
try the following direct link:
http://tinyurl.com/yzx9sck
or...
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...rror=softlayer

Save the file to a folder on your hard drive and
install from there.

Tutorials:

DVD Flick Tutorial
http://beginwithsoftware.com/videogu...ick-guide.html

Burn Any PC Video Format into DVD
http://www.freevideoworkshop.com/dvdflicktutorial.htm

To create a basic Video DVD that should play in a free
standing DVD player...try the following...

Good luck.

First...read the DVD Flick Guide to familiarize yourself
with the program.

Open DVD Flick and insert a blank DVD in your burner.

If your computer's Autoplay window opens....just close it.

Click the Project Settings button and go to...Video /
Target format...residents of USA...choose...NTSC /
Accept.

Left click the Add title button and browse to your
Movie Clips and select the ones you want on the DVD.

You can arrange them by selecting one and then use
the Move Up and Move Down buttons.

Left click the Create DVD button / OK / Yes / Yes.

Wait while the DVD is created.

When the text "Finished Successfully" appears you
may close DVD Flick. Now you can eject your DVD
and play it in your DVD player.

At some point you may wish to purchase more
advanced software like Cyberlink, Nero, Roxio,
Ulead, etc...but at least this is a start.

Good luck.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old November 21st 09, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JamesJ[_4_]

Thanks much for all the information.
I'll check it out.

Thanks again,
James

Old November 21st 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

JamesJ wrote:
Thanks much for all the information.
I'll check it out.

Thanks again,
James

====================
You're welcome.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old November 21st 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

Old December 2nd 09, 06:36 AM
soft25 soft25 is offline
Junior Member

The Best DVD Burner to convert video to DVD and burn movies to DVD disc. Best DVD Creator is the best and easiest-to-use DVD burner software/DVD Movie Creator software that can help you convert movies to DVD and burn DVD movie to DVD disc.

With many smart and powerful functions, this Best DVD Burner allows you to create special and personalized DVD movies, combine your video collections into video slideshows with beautiful transition effects, customize them with menu template, and add background music, pictures at your Choices; by the way of this best DVD burner you also can edit your video files in your style by cropping, trimming and video effect adjusting, setting watermark, etc.

Blu Ray Converter is designed for for backup your favorite Blu-ray DVD movie to your computer by converting Blu-ray DVD to SD video formats, such as AVI, DivX, XviD, DVD, WMV, MPEG4 MOV, MKV, FLV, with almost 1:1 quality, but just only 10% size. And Blue Ray Converter supports converting Blu-ray to HD formats, such as HD AVI, HD MPEG, HD MOV, AVC, HD WMV, etc.

With optimized profiles, you can Convert Blu Ray to iPod, iPhone, Gphone, PSP, PS3, Xbox360, Pocket PC, 3GP Mobile Phone or any other MP4 player, such as iRiver, Archos, Creative Zen Vision and more.

Download free Blu ray Converter supported. Whenever you want to Convert Blu Ray, just have a try.