Program stops responding for a few seconds

Old November 22nd 09, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jon

Default Program stops responding for a few seconds

"Stan Starinski" China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo wrote in
message ...

Wow, someone in UK is actually happy with Windows?
Not even a bit of Anti-Microsoft i.e. Anti-American bashing?

I should buy something British today, to be even

Knocking Microsoft isn't America-bashing, although some people may perceive
it as such.

MS is about 64 % owned by international instititutions (Bill Gates and Steve
Balmer own only 8 percent and 4.6 percent of shares respectively).

About 40 % of its employees are based outside the US.

Like most public limited liability companies it seeks to maximise profits
for its shareholders, and has little allegiance to its country of origin.

PS I'll be happy to buy something genuinely American too ;-)

--
Jon

Old November 22nd 09, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

"Noor Motani" wrote in message
How about anti virus?

I am using Avast, but there are others, if you'd like, even paid ones.

I remember uninstalling Norton once when I was upgrading from 2009 to 2010
and I received message that my system is not secure. Anyways, I will try
it.

"webster72n" wrote in message

"Noor Motani" wrote in message
Since this is intermittent problem, I have to leave Norton uninstalled
for a few days and that would be highly inconvenient.

What does Norton protect, which is not protected by windows firewall and
defender? And how 'intermittent' is your problem? I had the impression it
occurred at least once a day.

"webster72n" wrote in message

"Noor Motani" wrote in message
You both have noted "Norton" in your response.

To test it, uninstall Norton and see what happens.
If no change, reinstall and investigate further.
Does that sound plausible?

As for System Mechanics, this service is not always running. I run it
manually when I want to. So does Malwarebytes.
Thanks
Noor
"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
Noor Motani wrote:
Recently I have noticed that what ever application I am in, often it
stops responding for a few seconds and then it starts responding. I
am operating Vista Home Premium 32bt. and have Norton Internet
Security 2010 running. No other programs running at startup except
sidebar.
I appreciate help on this matter. I have run full NIS scan, full
Malwarebytes, and full tune up in system mechanics 9.

There's not really much to go on here. Have you watched the Task
Manager to see what else is happening during the pauses? Though, if
I had to guess, I'd suspect the Norton bloat-ware of bogging the
system down, and there's also a fair chance that the use of a snake
oil product like System Mechanic caused some sort of damage.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Old November 22nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Noor Motani

I want to let every one know that I removed Norton for a few hours. The
problem still persisted. That means that Norton is not the culprit. After I
removed Norton, I went into windows mail. When I clicked the mail header to
open the mail, I saw the message on the top task bar that windows mail
stopped responding. After about 10 seconds the mail opened and worked as if
nothing has happened.

Now, what next?

Noor

Old November 23rd 09, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

"Noor Motani" wrote in message
I want to let every one know that I removed Norton for a few hours. The
problem still persisted. That means that Norton is not the culprit. After
I removed Norton, I went into windows mail. When I clicked the mail header
to open the mail, I saw the message on the top task bar that windows mail
stopped responding. After about 10 seconds the mail opened and worked as
if nothing has happened.

Now, what next?

Noor:

Your patience to persist is laudable and appreciated.
Since Norton can be ruled out and your mail showed the same symptoms, the
finger points towards a connectivity problem.
It may originate with the server, or can be local. Your ingenuity will help
you to figure this one out.
Best of luck,

Harry.

Noor

Noor Motani wrote:
Recently I have noticed that what ever application I am in, often
it stops responding for a few seconds and then it starts
responding. I am operating Vista Home Premium 32bt. and have
Norton Internet Security 2010 running. No other programs running
at startup except sidebar.
I appreciate help on this matter. I have run full NIS scan, full
Malwarebytes, and full tune up in system mechanics 9.

There's not really much to go on here. Have you watched the Task
Manager to see what else is happening during the pauses? Though,
if I had to guess, I'd suspect the Norton bloat-ware of bogging the
system down, and there's also a fair chance that the use of a snake
oil product like System Mechanic caused some sort of damage.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin
Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.
~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest
has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Old November 23rd 09, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK[_2_]

"Noor Motani" wrote in message ...
I want to let every one know that I removed Norton for a few hours. The
problem still persisted. That means that Norton is not the culprit. After I
removed Norton, I went into windows mail. When I clicked the mail header to
open the mail, I saw the message on the top task bar that windows mail
stopped responding. After about 10 seconds the mail opened and worked as if
nothing has happened.

Now, what next?

Noor

Can you try running in safe mode for a while ?

Old November 26th 09, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dr. Barry L. Ornitz[_2_]

"Noor Motani" wrote in message
I want to let every one know that I removed Norton for a few hours. The
problem still persisted. That means that Norton is not the culprit.
After I removed Norton, I went into windows mail. When I clicked the
mail header to open the mail, I saw the message on the top task bar that
windows mail stopped responding. After about 10 seconds the mail opened
and worked as if nothing has happened.

Now, what next?

Noor

I have noticed similar problems in the last three days, and I have been
running Beta Version 4 of Norton 360 for about a month. The only new
additions to my system were four Windows updates, and they were released
on November 24.

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
Update for Windows Vista (KB976470)
Update for Windows Vista (KB973687)
Update for Windows Vista (KB976470)

I felt very leery of installing KB973688 as it said that unlike most
updates, it could not be uninstalled. One of these days, I shall learn
my lesson and not install updates until they have been out a month or two
with no one reporting problems. I had problems with an earlier
uninstall-able update, and it was a real pain to correct.

I am an engineer and not a programmer, but I would bet the culprit is
KB973687 or KB973688.

Dr. Barry L. Ornitz

Old November 27th 09, 01:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ashvin

I don't recommand norton.. but can say Norton 2010 had done some great
process.. but it still look like you are a pilot in a plane with so many
features on it now.. You problem you are having is nothing to do with
norton.. try to check your cpu and ram usage on task manager when that
happen.. try to see if there is no windows update pending..
If you are still on sp1 please download the sp2 from windows website
then install it manually.. run a full virus scan.. a malwarebytes free
version scan might help as well..
but also have a look at 'www.quickheal.co.nz'
(http://www.quickheal.co.nz) a simple and very good antivirus with
remote support.. where and when needed..

--
ashvin

Just chill
-pls post your feedback on my reputation, would be of great help to
fine tune and provide better support..-
Old November 27th 09, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

"Dr. Barry L. Ornitz" wrote in message
[...]

Both of them installed without any problems whatsoever on my machine, but it's
a desktop.

Harry.

P.S.: and I am neither a programmer nor an engineer, just a regular
regular 'user'.

Dr. Barry L. Ornitz