What is needed to kicksart the PC

Old November 22nd 09, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Canuck57[_7_]

Default What is needed to kicksart the PC

An idea for PC manufacturers to kickstart the PC business.

A PC with a native in ROM, mini-Linux based VM with the ability to
snapshot the running VMs.

Just imagine how easy it then becomes to backup an restore MS Windows.
or Linux, or Solaris or BSD for that mater).

Then load XP, Vista, Win 7, Solaris, Linux and a few BSDs... on boot,
let the user choose. Have a nice web and secure shell interface, with a
more trusted forewall...

Would be good and worth a few hundred extra for the options.
Old November 22nd 09, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Canuck57"

| An idea for PC manufacturers to kickstart the PC business.

| A PC with a native in ROM, mini-Linux based VM with the ability to
| snapshot the running VMs.

| Just imagine how easy it then becomes to backup an restore MS Windows.
| or Linux, or Solaris or BSD for that mater).

| Then load XP, Vista, Win 7, Solaris, Linux and a few BSDs... on boot,
| let the user choose. Have a nice web and secure shell interface, with a
| more trusted forewall...

| Would be good and worth a few hundred extra for the options.

Sounds very dangerous. Just imagine how easy it then to have a backdoor to the person's
OS.
Wipe the disk and reimage and the backdoor is still there.

--
Dave

Old November 24th 09, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Canuck57[_7_]

From: "Canuck57"

| An idea for PC manufacturers to kickstart the PC business.

| A PC with a native in ROM, mini-Linux based VM with the ability to
| snapshot the running VMs.

| Just imagine how easy it then becomes to backup an restore MS Windows.
| or Linux, or Solaris or BSD for that mater).

| Then load XP, Vista, Win 7, Solaris, Linux and a few BSDs... on boot,
| let the user choose. Have a nice web and secure shell interface, with a
| more trusted forewall...

| Would be good and worth a few hundred extra for the options.

Sounds very dangerous. Just imagine how easy it then to have a backdoor to the person's
OS.
Wipe the disk and reimage and the backdoor is still there.

Ever watch a real hacker conference, or for real hacked a computer?

They all look at MS Windows first as you have to get relax security to a
point where it works right.

Ever go to a school or workplace where PCs are there, look for someone
using Windows Live... do the follow on login trick to get their account.
MS hasn't learned to this day.

A trimmed down Linux as the host OS would be more secure than Microsoft
will ever achieve.
Old November 24th 09, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Canuck57[_7_]

Stan Starinski wrote:

Sounds like 1979.
ROM-based computers.

Tehy still have PROMS in them today. Much bigger now too since it isn't
stuck and limited to the 640k to 1mb region.

It wouldn't be hard to put Linux on one, fire up VMs for Windows and
Linux together at once just like VMWare or VirtualBox as it might help
the MS Windows slugish disk and network performance.

Case in point, a Fedora Linux VirtualBox VM can copy in files over the
network to disk 3-4 times faster the the Vista host OS can, and no one
has an answer as to why.
Old November 24th 09, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
d3aths3rver

To implement this Linux would have to be compatible with all the drivers
of a high powered server. Noone would would give up their time for free
to make them compatible.
On top of that, Having different Windows installations on a linux cloud
would slow it down considerably, not to mention the workload that a
linux pc would be subjected to, Linux just doesnt have the finances to
make this idea come into fruition.
For every 100 IT people that are familiar with windows, there is only 1
person familiar with Red Hat.
And then to make them compatible, there are always problems. Vmware is
a biatch from personal experience installing it on servers, you are
always better to install different OS's On different servers, depending
on the speed of the server, the job it will do and the compatibility of
that OS with the others in the network.

--
d3aths3rver
Old November 26th 09, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Canuck57[_7_]

d3aths3rver wrote:
To implement this Linux would have to be compatible with all the drivers
of a high powered server. Noone would would give up their time for free
to make them compatible.

Compatible? Heck, they blow away Windows drivers so bad... In fact
Windows often runs faster in a VM.

On top of that, Having different Windows installations on a linux cloud
would slow it down considerably, not to mention the workload that a
linux pc would be subjected to, Linux just doesnt have the finances to
make this idea come into fruition.

No one said MS Windows was efficient. As for the finances, the vendors
work on it. Much of what is needed is already out there just needing to
be integrated.

For every 100 IT people that are familiar with windows, there is only 1
person familiar with Red Hat.

The VM host is skinnied down. They wouldn't need Open Office or
Evolution or Thunderbird or a host of other things. Even make it web
based so no need to login.

I will go further, most IT organizations have 99 chiefs and 1 tech savvy
person. Much of todays IT is really backwards. I prefer the old days
where a pool of geeks gets a visit from the business side, they explain
the problem and not the solution, then the geeks, with no handicaps go
for a nice solution.

And then to make them compatible, there are always problems. Vmware is
a biatch from personal experience installing it on servers, you are
always better to install different OS's On different servers, depending
on the speed of the server, the job it will do and the compatibility of
that OS with the others in the network.

Can't say I have had that problem, Linux, Solaris on VMWare with
MS-Windows seems to work nicely. But you do hint on the #1 VM abuse
there is. Overloading it. The propensity of management to put 20 VMs
of Windows on one under powered system shows ho stupid they are. But
what the heck, sure better than 30 different Windows servers to manage,.
But that is servers.

I mean desktops. Where I ould have Vista and Red Hat running at once.
By using a VM, it abstracts much of the Windows problematic drivers into
the more stable host OS. Windows oftn even behaves better. I have seen
this more than once where Windows becomes more stable by putting it in a
VM, and turn off auto/usb and other crap you don't need.