Disk Defragmenter Question

Old December 2nd 09, 09:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_60_]

Default Disk Defragmenter Question

ashvin wrote:
WHAT IS DEFRAGGING?
Defragging is process done to a hard disk in order to improve
performance and recover some lost disk space. Defragging is an essential
part of a PC's upkeep as it keeps all the data on your hard disk in an
easily readable order. If a hard disk is left without defragging, then
over time the disk will begin to lose performance and also slowly reduce
the available capacity to data. As you will be aware if your hard disk
is running slowly then this will affect the rest of the system
performance, in all applications and especially in games, where frame
rate is important.
*How does Defragging improve performance?*
When you defrag your hard disk you re-arrange the order in which the
data is stored on the drive. The PC will arrange the data so that data
that belongs together and needs to be read together is actually put in
the same place on the drive. The obvious question here is why doesn't
the PC store the data in the correct way in the first place? In an ideal
situation (such as a blank disk) the PC would do these as a first
option. However with the amount of data being deleted and wrote to the
disk every second the PC is on it is no wonder that the data cannot be
stored together.
Lets have a look at an example. Say you write 3 files to a disk all
10Mb in size the data would look like this when written to a blank disk.

[image: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...s/defrag1.gif]
This is how your PC would prefer to store the data for maximum
performance. It stands to reason that this is how you would like it to
be stored as well if you needed to search for the data. But now lets say
that you decide to delete file 2 as its no longer any use to you. The
disk would look like this.
[image: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...s/defrag2.gif]
You now have a file 4 that is being written to the disk, but this time
the file 15Mb in size. When the PC stores the data on the hard disk this
time, its not as easy.

Of course this only applies to ancient operating systems like Windows.
With Linux, defragging isn't necessary.

Alias
Old December 2nd 09, 09:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Adam the nut Alltight

Alias wrote:

snipped

Of course this only applies to ancient operating systems like Windows.
With Linux, defragging isn't necessary.

No cares about your take on things. You are worthless.
Old December 2nd 09, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_60_]

Adam the nut Alltight wrote:
Alias wrote:

snipped

Of course this only applies to ancient operating systems like Windows.
With Linux, defragging isn't necessary.

No cares about your take on things.

You do or you wouldn't have read my post, much less reply to it.

You are worthless.

Projecting will get you nowhere.

Alias

Old December 2nd 09, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Adam the nut Alltight

Alias wrote:
Adam the nut Alltight wrote:
Alias wrote:

snipped

Of course this only applies to ancient operating systems like
Windows. With Linux, defragging isn't necessary.

No cares about your take on things.

You do or you wouldn't have read my post, much less reply to it.

Do you really think so stupid that I care?

You are worthless.

Projecting will get you nowhere.

Why don't you project how you are Alias the Great Dumb Linux Pusher man?

I am just here to mess with you stupid. You're so hookable.
Old December 2nd 09, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_60_]

Adam the nut Alltight wrote:

I am just here to mess with you stupid. You're so hookable.

That says more about you than me, troll.

Alias
Old December 2nd 09, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_60_]

Frank wrote:
Alias wrote:
Frank wrote:
Alias wrote:
Frank wrote:
Alias wrote:
Frank wrote:
Alias wrote:
ashvin wrote:
[...]

Uhhh...then why do defragers for linux exist, huh?
Oops!

For the same reason snake oil exists: to rip off ill informed
lamers like you.

As excepted [sic], when cornered, like the POS rat you are, you
bring out your straw man argument.

No, it's the same reason: to rip off lamers like you. You obviously
don't understand the meaning of a straw man argument even though you
use them all the time.

You moron, you're obviously oblivious to your own stupidity.

How many registry cleaners have you bought, Wank?

Not even one, you spamming, lying, linturd troll.

Well, why do they exist, then?

You really care about that?
Stupidity reins supreme in your little world doesn't it.
Oops!

You've been punked again and all you can do is flail around hurling
insults. Pretty pathetic, Wank.

You're sick in your little mind and very a delusional, lying, spamming,
linturd *TROLL*.
Oops!...LOL!

And you think these little childish insults are effective in supporting
your stupid comment that Linux' file system needs to be defragged? I bet
you do.

LOL, what a lamer!

Alias