Disk Defragmenter Question

Old November 23rd 09, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
JamesJ[_4_]

Default Disk Defragmenter Question

Is it normal for Disk Defragmenter to Analyze the disk AFTER it defragments?
I know it does it before and then I click 'Defrag Now' and it proceeds to
defrag my
hard drive. But today I was watching it and noticed that all of a sudden it
stopped defragmenting and the info changed to 'Analyzing disk...'.

Thanks,
James

Old November 23rd 09, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ashvin

its when the defrag fail.. rerun the defrag..

--
ashvin

Just chill
-pls post your feedback on my reputation, would be of great help to
fine tune and provide better support..-
Old November 24th 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ashvin

you will get the report when it ends like the percentage it defraged..
what i advise is run the disk analysis first.. if the reports says "this
volume needs defrag" then run the defrag .. if it says "this volume dont
need defrag" don't worry about running the defrag.. rather run ccleaner
or cookies cleaning software to clean your pc pending on why you want to
defrag your volume..
Regards

Old November 24th 09, 02:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ashvin

If the disk analyse says the disk needs defrag then defrag it.. if it
says "the disk dont need defrag" so why defrag it.. it will make no
difference.. better run ccleaner to delete cookies or other temporary
files if you feel that your pc is too loaded..
does that make sense??

Old November 24th 09, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
James Kosin[_3_]

James,

That won't help. What is probably happening is that a file that need
defragmenting is in use by the operating system and cannot be easily moved
at the time being... or maybe ever. Usually the best course of action is to
shutdown all items in the task tray, shutdown any unneccessary services and
try defragmenting again if you really want to get the defragmenting perfect.
However, this usually isn't necessary to go to great lengths.

Usually the recomended course of action is:
a) Run checkdisk (scandisk) or other checking utility on the volume
first.
b) Then run defragmenting software.

Good Luck,
James K
"JamesJ" wrote in message
Shouldn't it defrag if I request it?
Maybe I'll get a third party defragger.

James

Old November 24th 09, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_60_]

JamesJ wrote:
Is it normal for Disk Defragmenter to Analyze the disk AFTER it
defragments?
I know it does it before and then I click 'Defrag Now' and it proceeds
to defrag my
hard drive. But today I was watching it and noticed that all of a
sudden it
stopped defragmenting and the info changed to 'Analyzing disk...'.

Thanks,
James

Is your file system in FAT32? If so, that's why the defrag keeps
repeating and taking so long. Convert your drive to NTFS.

Alias
Old November 24th 09, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
edward

you can always use this defrag, it a lot quicker than the orignal defragger.
google - auslogics disk defrag

"JamesJ" wrote in message
I forgot to ask one thing.
If I'm n ot watching how will I know if it didn't fail??

James

Old December 2nd 09, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

"Doesn't need defragging" .ne. "Isn't fragmented".

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:54:01 -0500, JamesJ wrote:

I can remember one instance where disk analyses told me the
'disk didn't need defrag' but when I went ahead and defragged anyhow
the process took well over 2 hours.
Sure took a long time do defrag for a disk that didn't need defragmenting.

James

"ashvin" wrote in message

If the disk analyse says the disk needs defrag then defrag it.. if it
says "the disk dont need defrag" so why defrag it.. it will make no
difference.. better run ccleaner to delete cookies or other temporary
files if you feel that your pc is too loaded..
does that make sense??

--
ashvin

Just chill
-pls post your feedback on my reputation, would be of great help to
fine tune and provide better support..-

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Old December 2nd 09, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ashvin

WHAT IS DEFRAGGING?
Defragging is process done to a hard disk in order to improve
performance and recover some lost disk space. Defragging is an essential
part of a PC's upkeep as it keeps all the data on your hard disk in an
easily readable order. If a hard disk is left without defragging, then
over time the disk will begin to lose performance and also slowly reduce
the available capacity to data. As you will be aware if your hard disk
is running slowly then this will affect the rest of the system
performance, in all applications and especially in games, where frame
rate is important.
*How does Defragging improve performance?*
When you defrag your hard disk you re-arrange the order in which the
data is stored on the drive. The PC will arrange the data so that data
that belongs together and needs to be read together is actually put in
the same place on the drive. The obvious question here is why doesn't
the PC store the data in the correct way in the first place? In an ideal
situation (such as a blank disk) the PC would do these as a first
option. However with the amount of data being deleted and wrote to the
disk every second the PC is on it is no wonder that the data cannot be
stored together.
Lets have a look at an example. Say you write 3 files to a disk all
10Mb in size the data would look like this when written to a blank disk.

[image: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...s/defrag1.gif]
This is how your PC would prefer to store the data for maximum
performance. It stands to reason that this is how you would like it to
be stored as well if you needed to search for the data. But now lets say
that you decide to delete file 2 as its no longer any use to you. The
disk would look like this.
[image: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...s/defrag2.gif]
You now have a file 4 that is being written to the disk, but this time
the file 15Mb in size. When the PC stores the data on the hard disk this
time, its not as easy.