It is all gone!!!

Old November 25th 09, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mrskrabitz

Default It is all gone!!!

Please tell me I can find my files... PLEASE...

So I went to bed last night and Microsoft sent an update. I woke this
morning, logged in and my desktop appeared to have been reset. Upon
further investigation, I find that all my files are GONE... music,
photos, outlook .pst..... everything.... it's like Vista has been
recently loaded onto my computer... gone gone gone... everything. I did
a search for windows.old, nothing. Can I roll back the update? Will that
do anything? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you so much in advance!

Susan

--
mrskrabitz
Old November 25th 09, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
whs[_8_]

Before updates are done, Vista writes a restore point. Roll the system
back to that restore point.

--
whs

Old November 26th 09, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mrskrabitz

unfortuntatly, I have never had system restore work successfullly... I
have in the past gone to run system restore (in xp and vista) selected a
date, and run it only to say it cannot do that. So I don't trust system
restore.

I don't know what happened, but when I went to the C drive and checked
under user, my files and documents were all there. I have since backed
up everything on my external hard drive... such fun!!!

Thank you so much for the help!

--
mrskrabitz

Old November 27th 09, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mrskrabitz

:Peter,

The updates that installed that night are as follows:

UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB973687)
UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB976098)
UPDATE FOR WINDOWS VISTA (KB976470)
UPDATE FOR MICROSOFT XML CORE SERVICES 4.0 SERVICE PACK 2 (KB973688)

I started the install before going to bed and when I woke the next
morning and logged on, it was as if I had just load Vista over xp, bad
bad bad... and very scary...

Happy Holidays!
Susan

Old November 27th 09, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mrskrabitz

Perhaps, but I am so glad to have all my files... SO GLAD!!!

f/fgeorge;1195103 Wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:34:55 -0600, mrskrabitz
wrote:

unfortuntatly, I have never had system restore work successfullly... I
have in the past gone to run system restore (in xp and vista) selected

date, and run it only to say it cannot do that. So I don't trust

system
restore.

I don't know what happened, but when I went to the C drive and checked
under user, my files and documents were all there. I have since backed
up everything on my external hard drive... such fun!!!

Thank you so much for the help!

One Touch external hard drives are great for backups as are programs
like Acronis. Manually restoring is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE B??T!!

--
mrskrabitz