Best file recovery program?

Old November 25th 09, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Allen[_5_]

Default Best file recovery program?

I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and
Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost
because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both
internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any
recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial
have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them.
Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30
PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00
it had stopped with the message "allocation error".
Allen
Old November 25th 09, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Peter Foldes

You have money to spend then you can use a professional recovery agency which will
get the job done same as any law enforcement and government agency

--
Peter

Old November 25th 09, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Marjorie Klivans

"Stan Starinski" China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo wrote in
message ...
why not keep a portable/external HHD i have one for 5 bucks - almost
free, if you leave positive feedback on Ebay I will post, it's Iomega
all-aluminum fits into shirt pocket 120GB, have second SimpleTech (by
Hitachi) 160GB, eithe rone has to go, and one I keep.
I dont care which one I keep, even 120GB is as good as 160GB as it's
all-metal and premium quality

Give it up already. Donate that Iomega dinosaur and forget about the $5,
unless you need the $5 to buy food or buy deodorant.

Old November 25th 09, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Death

Marjorie Klivans wrote:

"Stan Starinski" China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo wrote in
message ...
why not keep a portable/external HHD i have one for 5 bucks - almost
free, if you leave positive feedback on Ebay I will post, it's Iomega
all-aluminum fits into shirt pocket 120GB, have second SimpleTech (by
Hitachi) 160GB, eithe rone has to go, and one I keep.
I dont care which one I keep, even 120GB is as good as 160GB as it's
all-metal and premium quality

Give it up already. Donate that Iomega dinosaur and forget about the $5,
unless you need the $5 to buy food or buy deodorant.

I don't know what that idiot is up too.
But, he outta know no one is going to take him up on that.
For 5 bucks, some lunatic is going to have your address.

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.

Old November 26th 09, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
rak

Have you tried Pandora Recovery? You can sometimes find it free at places
like giveaway of the day.

Old November 26th 09, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Allen[_5_]

Marjorie Klivans wrote:

"Stan Starinski" China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo wrote in
message ...
why not keep a portable/external HHD i have one for 5 bucks - almost
free, if you leave positive feedback on Ebay I will post, it's Iomega
all-aluminum fits into shirt pocket 120GB, have second SimpleTech (by
Hitachi) 160GB, eithe rone has to go, and one I keep.
I dont care which one I keep, even 120GB is as good as 160GB as it's
all-metal and premium quality

Give it up already. Donate that Iomega dinosaur and forget about the
$5, unless you need the $5 to buy food or buy deodorant.

Incidentally, I had backup on an internal hard disc--a 500 gig Maxtor,
which crashed and left about 3 gig unreadable. I had a second backup on
a DVD-RW, which was left unreadable by Win7 when I tried to copy it.
Note: in Win7, be very careful when trying to simply copy by moving. It
looks like that the receiving device must be to the right of the sending
device; if it is to the left the receiving directory acts like it is
caught in a tornado and you can't tell what directory your files might
be in. Also, in Vista if I was trying to copy by moving, the source
files on the source disc were left intact if the receiver was on a
different physical device--NOT TRUE in Win7. In the process of trying to
copy the data I lost one subdirectory and about 2/3 of another. I can't
find these files anywhere on my machine with the built-in Win7 search,
which is so slow that I could almost just open and read every file on my
machine faster than searching. I never thought I would say this, but I
wish I had Vista search back--much faster and more flexible than Win7.
These are just two of the many problems I'm having with 7. I'm beginning
to think that the MS software department has been infiltrated by Apple
moles--just one more example of smart Steve vs. screaming Steve.
Allen
Old November 26th 09, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Allen[_5_]

Allen wrote:
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and
Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost
because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both
internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any
recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial
have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them.
Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30
PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00
it had stopped with the message "allocation error".
Allen

I solved my problem myself. I found a great freeware program on Cnet: CD
Recovery Toolbox (free version--the best kind. It found my files in a
very short time, saved them in a special folder very quickly, with
names, AND WITH TREE INFORMATION! Umfortunately, true to its name, it
works only on CDs and DVDs. It's a keeper in my case. And thanks for
your help. I downloaded Pandora and will save it for future disasters
involving hard discs.
Allen