Error 77 Kernel_Stack_Inpage_error

Old November 26th 09, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Noor Motani

Default Error 77 Kernel_Stack_Inpage_error

Last night when I was perform on line malware scanning, my system crashed
with the following error:
ERROR 77
KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
In the brackets below all numbers were 0 except the last one that read
78D7000.
What does this error indicate and how to fix it that the system does not
crash. This is the first time I saw this error message though the system has
crashed several times with different errors.
My system details:
Dell inspiron 531
Windows Vista Home premium 32bt SP2
Ram=4 Gb
Video= nvidia geforce 6150 nforce
Security= Norton Internet Security 2010.

I appreciate any help.

Best Regards
Noor Motani

Old November 26th 09, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Guest

Bug Check 0x77: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
The KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000077. This
indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could
not be read into memory.

Parameters
The four parameters listed in the message can have two possible meanings.

If the first parameter is 0, 1, or 2, the parameters have the following
meaning.

Parameter Description
1 0: Indicates that the page was retrieved from page cache.

1: Indicates that the page was retrieved from a disk.

2: Indicates that the page was retrieved from a disk, the storage stack
returned SUCCESS, but Status.Information is not equal to PAGE_SIZE.

2 Value actually found in the stack where the signature should be
3 0
4 Address of the signature on the kernel stack

If the first parameter is any other value, the parameters have the following
meaning.

Parameter Description
1 Status code
2 I/O status code
3 Page file number
4 Offset into page file

Cause
If the first parameter is 0 or 1, the stack signature in the kernel stack
was not found. This error is probably caused by defective hardware, such as
a RAM error.

If the first parameter is 2, the driver stack returned an inconsistent
status for the read of the page. For example, the driver stack returned a
success status even though it did not read the whole page.

If the first parameter is any value other than 0, 1, or 2, then the value is
an NTSTATUS error code that is returned by the driver stack after attempting
to retrieve the page. The precise cause of this error can be determined from
the I/O status code (the second parameter). Some common status codes a

0xC000009A, or STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES, is caused by lack of nonpaged
pool resources. This indicates a driver bug in the storage stack, since the
storage stack should always be able to retrieve this data, regardless of
software resource availability.
0xC000009C, or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR, is typically due to bad blocks
(sectors) on the hard disk.
0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose
cabling, termination, or the controller not seeing the hard disk.
0xC000016A, or STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED, is typically due to bad blocks
(sectors) on the hard disk.
0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, is caused by improper termination or
defective cabling on SCSI devices, or two devices attempting to use the same
IRQ.

These codes are the most common ones for which specific causes have been
determined. For information about other possible status codes that can be
returned, see the file ntstatus.h in the Windows Driver Kit.

This bug check can also be caused by a virus infection.

Resolving the Problem
Resolving a bad block problem: If you can restart the system after the
error, Autochk runs automatically and attempts to map the bad sector to
prevent it's further use.

If Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, you can manually launch
the disk scanner. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart
the system before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the system due
to the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r.

Warning If your system partition is formatted with the FAT file system, the
long filenames used by Windows can be damaged if Scandisk or another
MS-DOS-based hard disk tool is used to verify the integrity of your hard
disk from MS-DOS. Always use the version of Chkdsk that matches your Windows
version.

Resolving a defective hardware problem: If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and
the paging file is on an SCSI disk, the disk cabling and SCSI termination
should be checked for problems.

Resolving a failing RAM problem: Run the hardware diagnostics supplied by
the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these
procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Check that all the adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an
ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics
supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that
might help pinpoint the device that is causing the error. Disabling memory
caching of the BIOS might also resolve this error.

Make sure that the latest Windows Service Pack is installed.

If the preceding steps fail to resolve the error, take the system
motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a
scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can cause this
error.

Resolving a virus infection: You should check your computer for viruses
using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the
Master Boot Record of the hard disk. All Windows file systems can be
infected by viruses.

See Also
Bug Check 0x7A (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR)

--
..

Old November 26th 09, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Peter Foldes

Noor

See the following
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms794027.aspx