is it possible to share the printer only?

Old November 29th 09, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
[email protected]

Default is it possible to share the printer only?

When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.
Old November 29th 09, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bruce Chambers

wrote:
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

No, there isn't. But if you don't assign sharing to any folders and
then grant other permissions to access those folders, they can't be
accessed.

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

That is the hidden administrative share that is common to all Microsoft
operating systems based upon the original WinNT kernel. Only people
with administrative privileges to the host computer can see of access
this share. As long as you take the rudimentanty precaution of not
granting administrative privileges to everyone could this be a
vulnerability.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Old November 29th 09, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

This is a good question. You may modify the registry. This how to may help:
how to disable administrative share -
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/vie...3 49bc7d25cbc

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

wrote in message
news
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.

Old November 29th 09, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dusko Savatovic[_4_]

To add to other posters.
To increase your security level, in Vista, you've got "Windows Firewall with
Advanced Security".
Under "Inbound Rules", you can check properties of "Server Message Block
(SMB)".
Check "Scope" tab. Here you can set local and remote IP addresses that are
allowed to connect to your network share(s).

wrote in message
news
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.

Old November 30th 09, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Drew[_6_]

Personally I had that problem and chose a printer that had a ethernet
connection hooked to my router and basically I can print from any computer
in my home but yet not have any sharing turned on..

wrote in message
news
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.

Old December 1st 09, 02:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
What is functionally Sharable on your system if you turn File and Printer
Sharing On but you do not enable individually any File Sharing Folder?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news