Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure

Old December 3rd 09, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Castagnola

Default Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure

Hi,

I have an HP Desktop PC that has had a Lexmark X3650 All-In-One (not
wireless) attached via USB for almost a year now without problem. The PC
has auto Windows Update and an HP driver update switched on.
On either 26/11/09 or 27/11/09 the PC had done a windows Update and
reboot. My next attempt to print on 27/11/09 was met with a "Cannot
Communicate" error, the print queue shows the request with no status.
The printer icon shows as offline.
Here's what I've tried:
Reboot the PC, power off/on the printer, disconnect/reconnect the USB
cable, check other devices work on that USB port and cable, print test
page from printer menus OK, print photos OK from PictBridge and
flashdrive/SD cards on printer. Tried the front USB port on the
printer.
As there was no difference in comms, I downloaded a cleanup utility and
the latest driver from Lexmark, ran the cleanup (reboot) and started the
driver install. At the point where the install requires connection of
the USB cable I connected the cable and... nothing.
I tried other USB ports and cables but the PC does not recognise that
the printer has been plugged in.
I tried the Windows Fix-It utility that checks the spooler etc., it
reported no problems.
I rolled back to before the dates above unsing Windows Restore but no
improvement, infact when I boot now I get a FaxMan error and Printer
Device error, presumably because of the failed re-installation of the
Lexmark drivers.

Can anyone suggest what to try next? Is my printer USB fried or is it
Vista simply not playing ball?

--
Castagnola

Old December 3rd 09, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

1. Try another USB device on the same port that the printer was on. Does
the 'other' device work?

2. Try the Lexmark printer on another PC (ask a friend if you only have the
single PC). Does it work?

Now you should have a clearer idea about where the problem lies.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Castagnola" wrote in
message ...

Old December 3rd 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Castagnola[_2_]

Hi,

I tried a camera, a mobile phone, a mouse and a PDA in the USB port,
all of which worked once Vista reloaded the drivers.

I'll need to take the printer to a friends house to test on another
PC.
Watch this space.

--
Castagnola

Old December 7th 09, 07:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Castagnola[_3_]

OK.

I tried the printer on another PC - no response from the PC at all. I
returned the printer to the shop as it was still under warranty, and
they replaced it with a new one which fired up as soon as I plugged it
into my PC.

Thankyou for the advices - I really thought it was Vista playing up.

For all readers - only the USB had gone down on the Lexmark X3650; all
other inputs eg PictBridge, SD card, Flashdrive etc. and the
scan/copy/print functions were OK. The printer itself reported no
failures.

Happy Printing!

--
Castagnola