Network Icon Missing

Old December 20th 09, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Default Network Icon Missing

A System Restore will often fix a problem. If it doesn't it can always be
undone.

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message
Bob

Why a System Restore? If you do not know how to have his issue fixed
then do not tell the OP to do something that is not necessary at all.

--
Peter

"Bob" wrote in message
Run System Restore to a time before you got the blue screen.

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message
I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
RAM.
All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
Suite
software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
CCleaner
and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
Firefox for browsing.

I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
Service
sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in
the
Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but
wasn't
successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
but
the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.

Is there anyway to recover this icon?

I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
connected
properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.

Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Old December 20th 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

Ok, in thinking about my remarks it's probably not the CA license issue that
makes me reluctant to do a Restore. But here's another point regarding CA
Security suite: Restores will typically cause my CA Security Suite to
declare that my A/V or AntiSpyware protection needs updating. When this
happens a yellow caution sign gets placed next to my A/V or AntiSpyware
icons. To go from a yellow caution sign to a green checkmark (saying
everything is up to date) I have to run a full system scan, then try to
update the definitions and software with a CA update application. Those 2
processes can take 2 - 3 hours to complete and sometimes the yellow caution
icons won't go away, indicating something else is wrong. At this point my
only recourse is to call CA up and spend an hour on the phone with them.
This is what makes me reluctant to do restores. I believe what's happening
is after a restore, the CA software thinks I've never done those full scans,
declares that I'm not adequately protected and requests them again before it
will declare that I'm good to go.

That said, you might be asking "why the heck do you continue using such a CA
product?". The answer is that on both my machines, desktop-Vista and laptop
XP, I've never had a virus in almost 4 years with CA running (and lately,
with Ad-Aware 2009 running with Ad-Watch live). Ie, I don't want to bother
screwing with success.

Of course, at this point, any fixes offered are moot since I `fixed' the
missing Network icon issue by just waiting and having Vista do something in
the background to un-grey the Network icon in the Notification area of the
taskbar. Don't know why that happened either but Questor tells me that's
not all that uncommon.

Thanks for listening............Paul C.

"Bob" wrote in message
What makes you think a SR would have any effect on your CA license ?

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message

Bob, thanks for your reply and suggestion. I've contemplated doing a
restore but am hesitant since doing that will take me back to a
configuration where my CA (California Associates) Security suite (from
Road Runner) license renewal might become expired, necessitating another
2 hour phone call with CA to re-initialize my license.

Paul C

Old December 20th 09, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

PaulM

Is this script going to permanently fix this issue of Notification icons
being greyed out, or will my system revert back to greyed out icons in the
future?

Thanks...........Paul C.

"PaulM" wrote in message
Go and download this script, FixIconsClockPowerVolume
Download the script he

http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com

Old December 21st 09, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

Can some experienced MVP person please tell me what the correct protocol is
for a series of posts that are no longer active. If I started the post am I
supposed to be the one deleted the string of posts after the issue has been
resolved?

Thanks............Paul C.

Old December 21st 09, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Paul.

It seems to me I saw this same question from you in another newsgroup today.

Newsgroups are generally not moderated. We are all just users - like you -
with no management powers over messages posted here, no matter how
experienced we may be. And MVPs have no magical powers. We don't speak -
or act - for Microsoft. We got the MVP Award because we've been trying to
help other users for a long time and our attempts have been correct and
helpful more often than not.

Once a message is posted in a newsgroup, it is immortal. Maybe that's good;
maybe that's bad. These Microsoft public newsgroups are hosted on the
Microsoft news servers, but they are a part of Usenet, which is a worldwide
system of "mirrors" that share messages freely with everyone. Many posters
don't even know that their messages are on Usenet because they post to a
"forum" such as Vistaheads which simply relays the post and any responses to
and from this NG - and all the rest of Usenet.

How long does the message thread survive? Microsoft will probably delete
this thread in 90 days, but the thousands of Usenet servers around the world
each have their own retention policies. Don't be surprised if you see your
message quoted back to you 10 years from now! It has happened to me and to
many MVPs and other posters. It can be quite startling! ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old December 22nd 09, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

R C White, thanks so much for your fine explanation. I was only trying to
make sure I followed the correct etiquette when it came to posts. I
understand now and will just leave things be.................Paul C.

Old December 22nd 09, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Paul.

You're welcome. Glad to help. ;)

RC

[...]