new konica-minolta printer magicolor 4650, with lots of printerdrivers (win 7)

Old December 23rd 09, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
c++ newbie!

Default new konica-minolta printer magicolor 4650, with lots of printerdrivers (win 7)

Hello,

I bought a new konica-minolta printer: Magicolor 4650 DN. It comes
with lots of printer drivers. I use Windows 7 64 bit. I think the
printer installed itself when I plugged it into the network router
(linksys). Windows 7 found the printer and I added the printer and it
seem to work, including settings / properties for duplex / grayscale /
color / page layout / number of pages per sheet etc.

Question: This printer should support a lot of things and when I want
to download software from the Konica minolta driver webpage, there are
lots of things to download. Some of these have something to do with
"ppd, pcl, xps" etc... I don't know what these things mean.

Here are some of the directory names I downloaded:

KMPPD64PSMINIwin…
MC4650MONOwinx64
MC4650PCL6Winx64
MC4650PPDWin
MC4650PSWinx64
MC4650XPSMINIVista
MC4650XPSVistax64
UPDPCL6Winx64
UPDPSWinx64

Should I install all of these ? Why ? What extra will they give me ? I
assume Vista-drivers are the same as Windows 7-drivers, right?

Please clarify. I guess the printer would be capable of doing
something more if I install these things - why else are they possible
to download?

Please help a newbie - full instructions/explanations would be nice...
Old December 23rd 09, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,alt.minolta.support
c++ newbie!

Oops, found a Minolta-support group too, which I think should have a
copy and I hope the answer is on-topic in both groups?

If not, please tell me and I'll go the right place for help...

Old December 23rd 09, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:49:15 -0800 (PST), "c++ newbie!"
wrote:

[...]

No. You should install only the drivers for the version of Windows you
run--Windows 7 64 bit.

Why ? What extra will they give me ? I
assume Vista-drivers are the same as Windows 7-drivers, right?

No, wrong. In some cases, when Windows 7 drivers don't exist, you
*can* use the Windows Vista drivers, but in other cases you can not.

Please clarify. I guess the printer would be capable of doing
something more if I install these things - why else are they possible
to download?

They are possible to download because different people need different
drivers.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Old December 23rd 09, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
c++ newbie!

wrote:
[...]

FYI: They're all for Windows 7 64 bit, that's why I downloaded them.

Why ? What extra will they give me ? I
assume Vista-drivers are the same as Windows 7-drivers, right?

No, wrong. In some cases, when Windows 7 drivers don't exist, you
*can* use the Windows Vista drivers, but in other cases you can not.

But the drivers (directories) I mentioned are all supposed to work on
my system so you haven't really anwered anything at all.

Please clarify. I guess the printer would be capable of doing
something more if I install these things - why else are they possible
to download?

They are possible to download because different people need different
drivers.

What an answer!

Let me guess: You don't happen to know anything about ppd, pcl, xps
etc, like I asked about?

Old December 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:46:10 -0800 (PST), "c++ newbie!"
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I was going to reply to you with more info until I read that line.
Have it your way. You're not interested in what I have to say, and
you've convinced me that I'm not interested in trying to help you

Good luck!

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old December 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:46:10 -0800 (PST), "c++ newbie!"

Old December 24th 09, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
c++ newbie!

On 24 Dec., 01:59, "Ken Blake, MVP"
wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:46:10 -0800 (PST), "c++ newbie!"
Let me guess: You don't happen to know anything about ppd, pcl, xps
etc, like I asked about?

I was going to reply to you with more info until I read that line.
Have it your way. You're not interested in what I have to say, and
you've convinced me that I'm not interested in trying to help you

Good luck!

If you don't have anything to say, then I'm definitely not interested
in hearing what you "have to say". At least nothing you wrote helped
me anything.