Stop Vista remembering previous file names [Image attached]

Old December 27th 09, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
INeedHelp1

Default Stop Vista remembering previous file names [Image attached]

[image: http://i49.tinypic.com/4h330i.jpg]

I hope there is a quick solution to this and I have the same problem
with vista remembering previous save locations.

Thanks in advance

--
INeedHelp1
Old December 29th 09, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Retroman

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:28:32 -0600, INeedHelp1
wrote:

[image: http://i49.tinypic.com/4h330i.jpg]

I hope there is a quick solution to this and I have the same problem
with vista remembering previous save locations.

Thanks in advance

This is a feature of individual applications, not of Vista. Many
applications store a "recent file" list in the Windows registry and
display those file names in their file dialogs.

You cannot prevent applications from doing this in Vista or in XP. You
can hunt down the registry entries for those applications and delete the
lists, but this is pointless since the applications will continue to
create new entries.

Doug M. in NJ

Old December 29th 09, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

In future try typing your question.

NoFileMru
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Comdlg32

Data type Range Default value
REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

Description
Removes the list of most recently used files from the standard Open dialog
box.

This entry stores the setting of the Hide the dropdown list of recent files
Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the registry with a value of 1
when you enable the Hide the dropdown list of recent files policy. If you
disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group Policy deletes the
entry from the registry and the system behaves as though the value is 0.

Value Meaning
0 The policy is disabled or not configured. The File name field includes a
dropdown list of recently used files.
1 The policy is enabled. The File name field is a simple text box. Users
must browse directories to find a file or type a file name in the text box.

This entry, and related entries in this subkey, lets you remove new features
added in Windows 2000, so that the Open dialog box looks like it did in
Windows NT 4.0 and earlier. These entries only affect programs that use the
standard Open dialog box provided to developers of Windows programs.

Change method
To change the value of this entry, use Group Policy. This entry corresponds
to the Hide the dropdown list of recent files policy (User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer\Common Open File Dialog).

Tip

To see an example of the standard Open dialog box, run Notepad and, from the
File menu, click Open.

For detailed information about particular Group Policy settings, see the
Group Policy Reference (Gp.chm) on the Windows 2000 Resource Kit companion
CD.

For general information about Group Policy, see Group Policy in Windows 2000
Help.

To see a table associating policies with their corresponding registry
entries, see the Group Policy Reference Table.

Related Entries

NoBackButton

NoPlacesBar

..

Old December 30th 09, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
INeedHelp1

Thanks for the help

--
INeedHelp1
Old December 30th 09, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
INeedHelp1

Thanks for the help

--
INeedHelp1