WD Passport USB device not recognized.

Old January 1st 10, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Intrepid5295

Default WD Passport USB device not recognized.

I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and have lost the last sheet.
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of these steps have fixed my problem.

Old January 1st 10, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

Has WD support also not provided you any recent Vista driver updates or
other meaningful help?

Old January 1st 10, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in NTFS
format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the drive so
it will work in both machines.

Michael

Old January 1st 10, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Michael.

I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS. Reformatting it
WILL destroy the data. But the built-in command, convert.exe, will convert
the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and it is much
quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.

To the OP: In a Command Prompt window, type: convert /?
This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old February 4th 10, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
smlunatick

Post Originated fromhttp://www.VistaForums.comVista Support Forums

Try: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html