Screen is dying after about 10 minutes

Old January 2nd 10, 09:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Guy

Default Screen is dying after about 10 minutes

Hi,

first, a rant. Could the number of discussion groups (1500!) be reduced to
something less daunting for the casual non-techy user? I was overwhelmed by
the number of groups and really don't know if I'm posting in the correct one.
Rant over.

OK here's my problem. I have a 2yo Advent 9150 laptop wth Vista HP. Last
week everything was fine. This week, on boot-up, I started getting msg
"error in Windows Defender UI" which turned out to be the tip of an iceberg,
and to cut a long (and probably irrlevant) discussion short, I ran a clean
recovery back to factory condition from restore DVD.

This seemed to work ok, in that all the issues went away. BUT.... I now
have a problem whereby after c.10 minutes, the display seems to go into sleep
mode even if I'm in the middle of doing something, like typing or
mouse-clicking. At this point, I would expect to be able to restore the
screen by a mouse click etc... but it doesn't respond. I therefore have no
alternative but to power down and reboot every time this happens.

I've checked my power settings and I'm using Vista defaults - with power,
the screen isn't supposed to go to sleep until after 60 minutes. All the
device drivers are up to date. When I reboot, the display comes up as
normal for about 10 minutes, then dies again.
Old January 2nd 10, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

What Vista Service Pack version do you have installed?
Make sure you have the latest driver for you graphics card from the graphics
chip vendor and not the latest one from MS Winupdate.

Old January 2nd 10, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
philo[_2_]

Guy wrote:
[...]

Possibly over-heating

is the cooling fan working?