Installed Usable Memory

Old January 4th 10, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

Default Installed Usable Memory

Obviously I should have stated that 1.024x 1792= 1834 and not that
1024x1792=1834.

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message
Curious,
Without putting too fine a point on it, `Winver' reports 1,833,800 KB
(which is 1833.8 MB, which is 1.8338 GB). Multiplying 1024 MB times 1792
MB as you did does not yield 1834 GB's. It yields 1834 Million GB's, which
is a whole lot more than 1834 MB. So I don't think that's going to
explain the differences reported by my machine.
Thanks for your input. Paul C.

"Curious" wrote in message
In the computer 1GB can mean either 1000 MB or 1024 MB.
Note that 1024x1792=1834

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message
Curious,
I just noticed that if I use `winver' in Start==Run I get a panel
saying my OS version (Vista Home Premium version 6.0, build 6002: SP2)
AND says that I have `1833.90 MB available for Windows'. Does this
conflict with the 1792 MB that's reported by Belarc Advisor as the
available installed memory. Any comments as to which number is
`correct'? Or maybe there both right, meaning there's nothing `wrong'
with the RAM. Paul C.

"Curious" wrote in message
It is also possible that your MOBO or your BIOS limits addressable
memory to 2GB and therefore 256MB of address space is being used by
Vista to support your graphics card even if it is not using shared
memory. Not all of this memory is not available to you since it is
just pre-reserved.

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message
Thanks Curious. I'll try to verify that. PaulC.

"Curious" wrote in message
Is it possible that the graphics chip in the system is using 256MB of
shared memory.?
How much memory does the BIOS say your system has?

"Paul Calcagno" wrote in message
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2), with 2 GB of RAM,
Firefox, CA
Security Suite, MBAB, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, Cleaner and
Spybot
search and destroy on an Acer Aspire T180 desktop. All WU's are
current and
the machine is working just great.
About 6 months ago I noticed a reduction in the amount of usable
installed
memory. I have 2048 MB of installed RAM in 3 slots (512 MB, 512 MB
and 1024
MB-with one slot empty), but only 1792 MB of usable memory. The
usable
installed/unusable installed difference is 256 MB. The difference
may mean
that some of it has gone bad or whatever.
Is there anyway to ascertain why I'm not able to take advantage of
the full
2024 MB of RAM? Is it possible one of the memory sticks is not
plugged in
correctly or there's a dirty contact somewhere?
I realize that this may be a `don't fix it if it ain't broken'
situation
since the computer runs just fine but if there's something I can
actually do
to get back the missing 256 MB of RAM that'd be nice.
I'm posting this here and also at:
Microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance since I'm not
sure of the
correct post location.
Thanks...PaulC.

Old January 4th 10, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

Ok Curious. Now I get what you were trying to say. Sorry for being so dense.
You're correct that one place reporting usable memory might be using a
different number for how big a GB is. I'll try to read your posts more
carefully the next time before responding. Paul C.