Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless

Old January 13th 10, 11:10 PM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

Default Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless

hi,
here's my problem, and i don't think it's unique, as i've been researching it for a year and a half since i got my vista laptop (Vista Home Premium 32bit with SP2). i lose internet connection. sometimes often, sometimes not, but eventually do. wired or wireless. anywhere, not just my home. i travel extensively, and i'm on wifi and ethernet in hotels all over the country. it's always the same. everything else works fine. and the ONLY way to remedy is to restart. sent it back to HP twice. they replaced networking cards, etc., but no difference. i've tried anything and everything i've seen in forums. it's not sleep related, as it happens in the middle of corresponding via email, or just web surfing. i've done complete system restores, updated drivers, changed every setting imaginable and suggested. SP1, SP2, doesn't matter. two desktops here at home, one XP, one also Vista Home Premium
32bit with SP2, and they always stay connected to the same network. in my laptop, i have used IE 7+8, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, all to the same end. i use yahoo mail and google mail via my browser, but recently installed Mozilla Thunderbird to use gmail with a desktop client. i now see that even if i can't get online via browsers, Thunderbird still is able to send and receive email so that baffles me. unless i hear something different, i think my only hope is Windows 7. don't think i can install XP on this HP laptop. and i definitely don't want a mac. i love this laptop but just want it so stay connected. HELP!!
thanx in advance for any and all help,
george
HP G60 Notebook PC
AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Old January 14th 10, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

This is not easy case. Let' try these steps:

1. When you loss the Internet connection, run ipconfig /all and make sure
the IP is not 169.254.x.x.
2. Ping the default gateway.
3. If you can ping the default gateway, ping 4.2.2.1.
4. If you can ping 4.2.2.1, ping a web site, for example ping
chicagotech.net.

post back with the result and ipconfig /all result.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Old January 14th 10, 06:47 AM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

hi bob,
thanx for the suggestions. hope i can actually do what you're suggesting. you may be giving me more technical credit than i deserve
i do have internet connection right now, but i tried opening ipconfig from the start menu anyway, just to try. it opens for a split second, then disappears. not sure if that's weird or not. did it 3 times. as far as pinging, i don't think i've ever done that, nor do i know how, but i'll figure it out.
will get back after next loss of connection. once again, thanx,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) View Post
This is not easy case. Let' try these steps:

1. When you loss the Internet connection, run ipconfig /all and make sure
the IP is not 169.254.x.x.
2. Ping the default gateway.
3. If you can ping the default gateway, ping 4.2.2.1.
4. If you can ping 4.2.2.1, ping a web site, for example ping
chicagotech.net.

post back with the result and ipconfig /all result.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting

Old January 14th 10, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Frankster

Couldn't reply to the OP 'cuz it's not on my news server, but...

Sounds like a local machine AV/Firewall issue to me. Considering the
description.

Also, considering the description, and assuming the "traditional" issues
have been covered, here are a couple more odd-ball things that can cause
this.

I once ran into an issue where the ISP of the Internet provider inside an
office building via wall jacks was doing MAC authentication. Same thing,
would often lose connection. Turned out that something on his laptop was
occasionally appearing to come from a different MAC address so he was being
disconnected. Although, I doubt this is the OP's issue because he said it
happened all over, not just at one location.

Another odd-ball thing that can cause this is SIP-ALG support. If you are
operating in an environment with VOIP and your router/PC has SIP-ALG support
enabled, it can conflict with the VOIP SIP-ALG service. In this case
disable SIP-ALG support in the router. Again, this is probably not the OP's
issue because he didn't mention anything about using the same router...
but... you never know what is installed on some folk's laptop/PC.

-Frank

Old January 15th 10, 12:05 AM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

hey frankster,
thanx for jumping in. naturally, since i posted yesterday, i haven't lost internet connection, so haven't been able to try any suggestions yet.
i will say that in the past, i have turned off anti-virus and firewall after losing connection, figuring if i didn't have connection anyway, what could i lose? at any rate, it did no good. we do now use VoIP, but this problem was long before we started using it. as far as being in an office building, most of the time it's here in our home. on ethernet now, but use wifi to roam the house, and like i said, it happens using either.
really appreciate all the input and everyone's time. i'm really looking fwd to losing connection for a change and will report back after the fact with some info that may help everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post

Old January 15th 10, 09:47 PM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

hi bob,
after a day connected, i lost connection from wifi here in my home. was using wifi at the time. i think i tried all your suggestions, but couldn't figure out how to "ping default gateway". in order, here's what i did do:
ran ipconfig/all and got this for the wireless side-

Connection-specific DNS Suffix- Belkin
Description- Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adaptor
physical address: 00-24-2C-43-7C-D8
DHCP Enabled- Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled- Yes
IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.94(Preferred)
Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained-Thur Jan 14, 2010 1:51:39 pm
Lease Expires- Mon Feb 21, 2146 8:40:20pm
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers 192.168.2.1
NebBIOS over Tcpip- Enabled
next, when i saw that the IP wasn't 169.254.x.x., i went into a command prompt typed: ping -t, and it went on endlessly. looked to me like it was succeeding every few milliseconds, indefinitely, til i closed the window. then i pinged 4.2.2.1. with the same result, and went on to ping some web sites, including chicagotech.net, and google.com. same result. different IPs were coming up for each one, so i interpretted that as successful, but as these were my first 'ping' experiences, i may be completely wrong.
is there a way to 'save' all the info in a cmd prompt? lotta typing involved.
well, i don't know what this all means, but if is does to you, i'd be delighted to know. will try anything. thanx again for the attention, really appreciate it.
george

Old January 16th 10, 03:22 PM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo jr. View Post
[...]

bob,
lost connection again last nite (1.15.2010), and followed your steps. i think this info i'm leaving is more accurate, as i've figured out the pinging routine. here's what happened:

ipconfig/all info same as previously reported.
able to ping default gateway
able to ping 4.2.2.1
unable to ping comcast.net
request timed out 4x
able to ping yahoo.com
avg=57ms ttl=50
able to ping google.com
av=43ms

then again, after a few minutes:

able to ping default gateway
avg=16ms
able to ping 4.2.2.1
avg=40ms
able to ping google.com
av=43ms
able to ping yahoo.com
avg-60

thunderbird able to send and receive
when i tried to repair the network, got "windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically".

so that's what i know. thanx again in advance to any and all help,
george