Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Force asking to "Run as administrator"

Old January 15th 10, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Bob

Default Force asking to "Run as administrator"

I run Vista as non-administrator account. I just feel safer that way and I
do not mind typing in administrator password when asked. Some applications
fail to ask for administrator password and run fine but in a limited way.
It takes me a while to figure that out that I am running it with limited
privileges. I then have to save my work or document where I am and close
the application. Then I have to right-click the application icon and click
"Run as administrator". Is there a way to avoid this repeated action? I
want to find a way to force asking for administrator password when I
double-click the application icon.

Is there a way to setup the icon on desktop or start menu to have it forced
to ask for administrator password every time I double-click it to start the
application? I always forget to right-click to "Run as administrator".

Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP2 box. I use MS auto updates. I think it
has onboard shared memory for video and sound. My ISP is Comcast 12mbps
with Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem direct to computer. No other
switches or routers or wireless or phone line or any other networking
hardware hooked up to this computer.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Old January 15th 10, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Dave Warren

In message "Bob"
was claimed to have
wrote:

I run Vista as non-administrator account. I just feel safer that way and I
do not mind typing in administrator password when asked. Some applications
fail to ask for administrator password and run fine but in a limited way.
It takes me a while to figure that out that I am running it with limited
privileges. I then have to save my work or document where I am and close
the application. Then I have to right-click the application icon and click
"Run as administrator". Is there a way to avoid this repeated action? I
want to find a way to force asking for administrator password when I
double-click the application icon.

Is there a way to setup the icon on desktop or start menu to have it forced
to ask for administrator password every time I double-click it to start the
application? I always forget to right-click to "Run as administrator".

Right click on a shortcut, go to Properties, then to Advanced, there
should be an option to run as administrator.

Once enabled, you'll be prompted before the app starts.

Old January 16th 10, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Bob

Default Thank You!!

Though a simple answer, SUCH A BIG HELP!!
Thank YOU!!

"Dave Warren" wrote in message
In message "Bob"
was claimed to have