Networking a scanner??

Old January 29th 10, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Default Networking a scanner??

I have a home network with three PC's. Two desktops and a laptop. In
the network is a Samsung SCX-4725 FN multifunction printer/scanner.
All computers can print on the 4725. At present it is connected via a
usb cable to the Vista PC. A NIC cable connects it to the network via
an Airlink wireless router whose wired setup is as a switch.

The scanner function is seen on the Vista computer as an imaging
device.

Is there a way to have the scanner capability shared so that documents
can be scanned to either desktop PC ?

If you need additional data to assist me with this problem please
request.

TIA
Old January 29th 10, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bruce Chambers

wrote:
I have a home network with three PC's. Two desktops and a laptop. In
the network is a Samsung SCX-4725 FN multifunction printer/scanner.
All computers can print on the 4725. At present it is connected via a
usb cable to the Vista PC. A NIC cable connects it to the network via
an Airlink wireless router whose wired setup is as a switch.

The scanner function is seen on the Vista computer as an imaging
device.

Is there a way to have the scanner capability shared so that documents
can be scanned to either desktop PC ?

If you need additional data to assist me with this problem please
request.

TIA

Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't
always true of scanners. You'll be able to share the scanner *only* if
it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately
eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software
(that comes with the scanner) to do this. If you're talking about a
home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very
probably can't.

HP, Canon, Xerox, Océ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies
manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function
devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the
requisite specialized software. The cost of such devices usually starts
somewhere just below $5,000.00 USD.

The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher,
which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners,
permits some of the scanning functions to be shared. Consult the
documentation that came with the scanner. (I know it works, if not very
well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be shared, using
the supplied software.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Old January 29th 10, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

My wireless. HP 4-in 1, printer, copier, fax, and scanner which cost $150
came with HP software so that I scan from it to any of the computers on my
network.
Contact Samsung for the required software.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell