WantChange Location of CompletePC Backup

Old February 3rd 10, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Key Bored[_2_]

Default WantChange Location of CompletePC Backup

Hi All,

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 2. I want to do a
CompletePc Backup (image of C drive) and save it on my external hard drive.
Previously, I have saved several image backups to my second internal hard
drive, but don't have enough space to do another backup. But when Vista
searches for a location for the backup, it only allows me to use the second
internal hard drive and won't give me the option of using the external
drive.

1. How can I force Vista to use the external drive? Is there a registry
hack? Do I have to delete all previous image backups from my second
internal drive? I tried moving the files for the previous backups to my
external drive, but Vista would then only allow me to use the DVD drive,
which would take over 100 DVDs.
2. As a second option, how do I start over with creating a completePC
backup? I assume that I need to delete the previous backup files and
probably some files in the Windows folder, etc. as well as some registry
entries.

Thanx, Key Bored.

Old March 3rd 10, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

"Key Bored" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know. But before you give up, try the method that should work
for the backup program include with Vista, even though it's a program
not intended to give complete backups . First, make sure that the
selection of which disks to back up does not include the disk you want
store the backup on. Then see if that adds the external disk to the list
of devices you can put the backup on.

Also, note that most backup programs cannot do a complete backup
of whichever disk partition Windows is currently running from, so you may
need to search for a way to boot to some other partition to do a full backup
of that partition.

Robert Miles