Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...

Old February 12th 10, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
jenncooper

Default Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...

I keep getting the following error messages every time I log onto
Windows Mail:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net',
Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net',
Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!

--
jenncooper

Old February 13th 10, 12:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

Tools | Options | General. Temporarily uncheck: Send & Receive at Startup
and Check for messages every X minutes.

Close and open WinMail. No error, right?

1: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.

2: Make sure all your setting agree with these.

How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
Mail for Comcast email?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2288

3: If still no joy, you may have a corrupt or very large message trying to
download. Logon to Comcast's Webmail and read/delete messages there to
clear up the problem.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"jenncooper" wrote in
message ...

Old February 13th 10, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
jenncooper[_2_]

Bruce Hagen;1648111 Wrote:
Tools | Options | General. Temporarily uncheck: Send & Receive at
Startup
and Check for messages every X minutes.

Close and open WinMail. No error, right?

1: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a
redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and
receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
'OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3)

'Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight
Information Avenune Tutorial'
(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm)

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when
the
option arises.

2: Make sure all your setting agree with these.

How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
Mail for Comcast email?
'Welcome to Comcast customerCentral!'
[...]

Thanks Bruce!

Disabling the anit-virus solved the issue with my Optonline account but
I'm still getting the following error message regarding my Comcast
account:

Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Any other suggestions?

--
jenncooper

Old February 13th 10, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

"jenncooper" wrote in
message ...

Bruce Hagen;1648111 Wrote:
[...]

Check those setting here.

Setting up Optimum Online in Outlook Express:
http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ZP7Ki&p_lva=27

What AV program are you running? As noted, for some it is necessary to
remove and then do a custom install and opt out of e-mail scanning when
offered. Especially included, but not limited to, AVG and Norton.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Old February 16th 10, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that Comcast mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com