Old March 29th 07, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Gary VanderMolen

Default Can't get wireless laptop to connect

Interesting tool. My router fails two of the tests, but it works fine.

Gary VanderMolen

"Kim [MS]" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Barb.

Kristen, Gary, and others,

We've just published a new tool to test your router. Feel free to give it a
go and send us feedback:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

there are a lot of older routers that work fine with Vista, although
some may have firmware that needs updating. if the OP would post the
model, hardware revision and firmware version in the router, more
help would be forthcoming.

there are some routers that may not have upgrades available. vendors
aren't going to put their legacy gear through the logo program.

I think that if Kristen finds that the existing router doesn't cut
the mustard, and needs to find a new one, that the advice to get one
that has the logo is a good option. it may cost more than some of
the firesale prices on old routers, but for someone without
experience, it is definitely the way to go.

Examples: I have a non logo'd D-Link DGL-4300 router which performs
superbly under Vista. D-Link isn't going to put it through the logo
program. I also have their newer DIR655 router which IS logo'd.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:59:06 -0700, "Gary VanderMolen"
wrote:

Wow! You are suggesting that all of us with routers that don't display
the Vista logo had better run out and buy a new router?
That doesn't say much for Vista, does it...
Wow, indeed!

Gary VanderMolen

"Kim [MS]" wrote in message ...
Kristen (and others),

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with Vista. There are a couple of
factors which might be causing this behavior. First, your router may not be
Vista compatible. Check to make sure it displays the Vista logo on the box.
There might be a firmware update to the router to bring it into compliance.
Another cause might be an outdated network adapter driver.

Please post back with the outcomes.

"Kristen" wrote:

When I went to bed last night, the Internet on my new laptop (running Vista)
was working just fine. Woke up this morning and have been trying to get it
to work ALL day. It shows that my signal strength is excellent but it won't
connect. Not even when I plug it straight into the router! When I try to
diagnose it I get this message: "Wireless association failed because Windows
did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." My
PC is working just fine (as this is how I am on here posting this question).

Any idea how to fix this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out!

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP