HP Pavillion a1632x

Old February 16th 10, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_6_]

Default HP Pavillion a1632x

Why were you unable to recover/reinstall the original XP OS? Didn't the
system come with a recovery partition and instructions on how to reinstall
the OS and on how to back up the recovery partition?

"walter deodiaus" wrote in message
BTW this all worked under XP before virus hit.
Also, the network connector works under Ubanto Linux

Old February 17th 10, 07:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
walter deodiaus

No, the recovery process did not work. It reinstalls, but still gives me an
error with lsass.exe. I called HP, and they said I needed the CDs which
cost $30 to continue.
I got curious and decided to install Vista, which I got from a trade show.

As it turns out, if I disconnect my Linksys Wireless G router and plug the
Motorola network (provided by Comcast) modem directly into the computer,
then recycle the power on the modem, the network is found. Great as long as
I don't want to use the wireless or the Vonage phone in my house.

Old February 17th 10, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_6_]

I suggest you disconnect the Vonage phone and do a complete Reset of your
wireless router and then try again after setting the router up again.
Was the computer directly to the router or was it using wireless also?

Old February 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Deodiaus

My cable modem I got from Comcast is a Motorola SB4200. It has a lan
attachment as well as a USB attachment. I went to the Motorola
website and downloaded the USB drivers, but get an error that the INF
was not correct. BTW, did the layout of the INF change from Vista SP0
to SP2?
Originally the computer was plugged into the Linksys WRTP54G-VR
Wireless Broadband G router.
BTW, someone suggested I get a Ethernet patch cable? Is that wired
differently than a standard LAN cable?
Do they make a LAN cable wired as a Y, so that I can run a line into
the computer and another into the Wireless router. Will that work, or
will it mess something else up?

Old February 18th 10, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
TheDuck[_2_]

All this BS and the easiest solution is to disable the onboard function and
buy a new lan card. They are cheap.

Old February 18th 10, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_6_]

AFAIK you need to be using the LAN Ethernet connection and not the USB
connection.
You can not use a Y splitter on a Ethernet LAN connection.
A LAN cable and a Ethernet patch cable are the same thing.