HP Pavillion a1632x

Old February 15th 10, 08:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
walter deodiaus

Default HP Pavillion a1632x

I have a HP Pavillion a1632x which came with XP, but was advertised to be
upgradeable to
Vista. Later on, this option was not supported. This falls on false
advertising! Doesn't HP have trial drivers? I called HP, but they don't
seem to support Vista for this machine.
Last week, I was infected by a virus and was unable to recover my XP OS.
I received a copy of Vista at a trade show, and decided to install it, as I
did not want to shell out $30 for the CDs. Besides, I heard that Vista was
far better after Service pack 1.
Does anyone know where to get device drivers for the NVidea nForce Network
Controller? I tried both the HP & nvidea, but none of those work.
Moreover, HP does not talk much about the exact specs on the network
controler (which is on board).
I guess my time is cheap, so I am willing to spend a couple of hours before
breaking down and ordering the XP reinstall cds!

Old February 15th 10, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DL[_3_]

Where did you look?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&lang=en&cc=uk

Old February 15th 10, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
David B.[_3_]

Why are you whining about HP on a Microsoft discussion group, your post has
nothing to do with Vista, the problem isn't that drivers aren't available,
it's that you haven't looked for them, even in the most obvious of places,
HP's support website, which DL provided a link to.

Old February 15th 10, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
walter deodiaus

I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not work
well..
I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was that
I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
not under Vista would be well discussed here.

Old February 15th 10, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
David B.[_3_]

If you want alternate drivers I would suggest a google search, discussion of
the differences between XP and Vista drivers isn't a common discussion.
HP provides Vista drivers for that machine, so saying they don't support it
is false. Also, drivers are not a Microsoft related discussion in general as
they are provided by the hardware mfg's, not Microsoft.

Old February 15th 10, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Drivers are bits of software written so that the operating system can
address the system hardware. Drivers are always specific to the operating
system (usually singular, but sometimes 2 or 3) in question, meaning they
are always only for use with a designated OS. In the case of HP systems,
like many manufacturers, the hardware is proprietary and requires drivers
written specifically for it. Quite often these are not found in the general
OS-provided driver library (each version of Windows comes with thousands,
but this does not cover every concievable hardware configuration and some
are designed only to provide basic, not full, functionality), so you have to
get them from HP. If there are non available, or if they don't work well,
there is not much you can do about it other than complain to the
manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/