Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?

Old February 20th 10, 05:36 PM
FusionFocus FusionFocus is offline
Junior Member

Default Refresh Rate too high...how to fix it?

I have a 22 inch widescreen monitor and a 9500GT nVidia graphics card. I noticed that the icons and the font in Vista was rather large earlier, so I tried to fix it. I accidentally set the refresh rate too high, and now I'm in Safe Mode trying to see how I can fix this so I can return to normal mode.

I've tried restoring the system back to 2.18.10, but it didn't work. All it did was load up the files and such from that date. I still can't access Normal Mode without a blank screen and a small white window that says "no signal". I tried going to the display settings and selected "use hardware default settings", but it made no difference. I tried to load the nVidia dashboard, but as I've discovered, refresh rates cannot be changed in Safe Mode. Also, I've read that I could go into "Device Manager" and uninstall the monitor/driver or whatever, but I don't feel comfortable uninstalling those things, since I've managed to screw up my settings this far, and there's no telling what would happen if I messed while trying to uninstall it.

Is there any way I can fix this? And will uninstalling the monitor and driver software in "Device Manager" really reset it instead of actually uninstalling it? Plain language please. I'm not all that fluent in technical speak.

Last edited by FusionFocus : February 20th 10 at 09:03 PM.
Old February 20th 10, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

Whil you are in safe mode just reset the resolution and refresh rate to what
you want and those new settings will be in effect the next time you boot in
normal mode.

--
FusionFocus

Old February 21st 10, 01:35 AM
FusionFocus FusionFocus is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious[_6_] View Post
[...]

Hmm, are you sure that isn't exclusively for Windows XP and below? It didn't show up in Safe Mode.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for your help, but I already found the solution to my problem by uninstalling my driver and installing an up-to-date one.
Old February 21st 10, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

It is in all versions.
When in Safe Mode and you change the display resolution you are not changing
the resolution to be used in Safe Mode because you can't you are changing
the resolution settings for Normal Mode. If it did not work this way no
one would be able to recover from problems like yours.

"FusionFocus" wrote in message

'Curious[_6_ Wrote:
;902523']Whil you are in safe mode just reset the resolution and refresh
rate to what
you want and those new settings will be in effect the next time you
boot in
normal mode.

...-