Lost path to boot drive - Help please

Old February 26th 10, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimB

Default Lost path to boot drive - Help please

I have a Windows Vista Ultimate system with 4 SATA hard drives
configured to look like IDE drives through an ASUS motherboard.

I had the boot drive set as drive C: with a variety of applications
installed on it. Two days ago I 'cloned' that drive to a new larger
drive with the most recent version of Norton Ghost. That drive showed
as drive H:.

I've been trying to get the new drive to show as drive c:, as all my
applications want to read data or write settings to drive C:. I've
used the disk manager in Vista to change the drive letter assignments,
even swapped the SATA cables between the two and probably some other
settings in BIOS, etc. -- The original boot drive now shows as drive
G: and the 'new' drives shows as H:.

The system is now SO screwed up that although I can “boot” into
Windows it will not bring up any of my applications and simply shows a
light blue background with no toolbars or icons. I can use Ctrl-Alt-
Del to get into the task manager and try to start a management program
but it always shows 'Path Not Found' and references drive H:.

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I get one of the 'boot' drives
seen as drive C: again and boot into Vista? Maybe even to the point
where I can use the Vista DVD to repair one of them?

Thanks for helping an idiot!
Tim

Old February 26th 10, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimB

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the link doesn't resolve anywhere
when I click on it.

Tim

On Feb 25, 6:48*pm, "R. C. White" wrote:
Hi, Tim.

Old February 26th 10, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
peter

That usually only happens when you boot with the Cloned drive and
the drive you cloned from still attached.
After a clone you are supposed to shut down, remove the old drive and place the
new drive
in its position then reboot.
did you do that??

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old February 26th 10, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TimB

Thanks, Peter.

I did have them both connected, but just disconnected the original "C"
drive and rebooted.

I got a BIT farther when the light blue windows screen appeared. It
now tells me that it couldn't find the path/file, etc to RUNDLL32.EXE.
I assume that means that the OS paths are screwed up as the CLONE
drive is still set at drive H: and I cannot see anyway to change it to
drive C, which I assume the OS wants.

Thoughts?
Tim

Old February 26th 10, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL[_3_]

You must have booted with your origonal c still attached.
Disconnect all drives except the one you want, reboot if it doesnt, use your
win dvd to repair
There is also a vague possibility that your mobo requires the use of a
specific connector for the boot drive.