Can't Install WinVista Service Pack 1...

Old March 9th 10, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
E-Double

Default Can't Install WinVista Service Pack 1...

On a Windows Vista Ultimate machine, when trying to install Windows Vista sp
1 from a CD one of the following two errors occur: 1) The machine says that
it must be rebooted to continue with the install. After rebooting (several
times sometimes) the same error will likely appear, or 2) The installation
just randomly fails (ie stops installing) and a generic 'Failed to Install
Service Pack 1' appears. The WinVista sp1 installation also fails when
trying to use Windows Updates. There are other machines on the network that
are basically just like this one as far as hardware and software and they
were able to update to WinVista Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 without any
problems.

We tried to disable the AV software and other random services. Are there any
tips, tricks, or suggestions in this scenario in order to successfully get
WinVista sp1 installed ? We would obviously like to not have to reinstall
the OS, applications, and data.

TIA ...

e.
Old March 9th 10, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Adolph

"E-Double" wrote in message
[...]

Your best bet is to go to the Microsoft website and download the standalone
exe file
for Vista Service Pack 1. Make sure you specify whether you have 32 or 64
bit. It
should install fine for you.

Old November 24th 13, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:20:01 PM UTC-10, E-Double wrote:
[...]

I have a "new" Vista premium install and after trying to install SP1 it didn't install these three files (failed):
Update for Windows Vista (KB955430)
Update for Windows Vista (KB973687)
Update for Windows Vista (KB959426)

When I went to read about what to do about it, I found there are a LOT of complaints about #1 and #2 (I haven't bothered to look up #3 yet). About the only thing I saw on #1 (KB955430) was this from this link below
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...m=itprovistasp)
At the bottom, someone replied with this:
"Found a working solution on newsgroups (955430): windows\servicing\version has map 6.0.6001.... which should be deleted (in boot process). Look for backgrounds on MS Newsgroups."

I went into Windows\servicing\version\ and found a directory named 6.0.6001 with nothing but a simple cookie in the directory. I made a copy of the file and tried to delete it, and I could not, even though I am the owner/administrator.

So what I am doing now (as of Nov. 24, 2013) is downloading SP1 again, and am going to attempt to reinstall it. I will follow up with what happens, as I have seen mentioned a few times in a few places that those mentioned three files above could have been corrupted. This makes sense, as there were a HUGE NUMBER of successful files installed from SP1..