access denied on vista Document folder from xp pro laptop

Old March 10th 10, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
michaelsurles

Default access denied on vista Document folder from xp pro laptop

I have a similar problem as that of Duke of URL. I have the same
workgroup name for my vista desktop and my xp laptop and when I try to
share my vista Documents folder to the xp, I get an access denied error
message when trying to open the vista folder from the xp pro.

it will not allow me to add a username from the xp pro to share when
selecting Share options, only users on the vista. It does not recognize
any users from the xp pro.

I have all the network sharing features on except for password
protected sharing and media files, but cannot add a user from the xp pro
laptop to the Documents folder.

The permissions are wide open and still I cannot access the files on
the vista, but I don't have any problem accessing the xp pro files from
the vista home premium.

I don't want to use a public folder as I want to be able to view all of
the files and then access the files for read or edit in my Documents
folder on the vista from my xp pro.

What I want to know is how to get your Documents folder on myvista to
share with the xp pro laptop so that I can review them and do searches
on them or edit them. I have thousands of files and it would be a
nightmare to move them all to the public folder. I would also like to
sync them if possible as I use the laptop while away and want to connect
it back to the private network and sync the files after editing them.

This should not be that hard and yet I have spent hours on trying to
make this work. I can see the shared vista folders on the xp pro, I
just can't open them. I have tried everything I have read so far in the
forum and on the HP Help and Support database on network sharing.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Michael

--
michaelsurles
Old March 10th 10, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
MilesAhead[_4_]

michaelsurles;1239258 Wrote:
[...]

I can access the public folder on the vista and my network printer from
the xp pro.

This should not be that hard and yet I have spent hours on trying to
make this work. I can see the shared vista folders on the xp pro, I
just can't open them. I have tried everything I have read so far in the
forum and on the HP Help and Support database on network sharing.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Michael

The only thing I can tell you is I set up to use the public folders on
the Vista machine. However, once I got the network going, if I shared a
different folder, and added Everyone as CoOwner, then I could
read/write/delete files and copy to from that folder in both XP and W7.
Seems you can't hard wire it. You have to manually share the folder
after all the systems are up and running. At least that's how I have
it. I don't require login access. Usually I only open up a folder on
the Vista side if I'm going to do an image backup of another machine and
want the image to go over the Lan to be stored on the Vista PC.

I think what you may be missing is changing the permission for Everyone
to CoOwner.

--
MilesAhead

::\\"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a
member.\\"
- Groucho Marx::

::
::

Old March 11th 10, 12:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
michaelsurles

Thanks, now that I understand things a little better i am sure your way
would work also. As I have it working now, I think I will live it at
that. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.

Michael

--
michaelsurles

Old March 11th 10, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Firewall instructions.
Windows 7 Work Network,
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Old March 11th 10, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
MilesAhead[_4_]

michaelsurles;1239378 Wrote:
Thanks, now that I understand things a little better i am sure your way
would work also. As I have it working now, I think I will live it at
that. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.

Michael

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old March 13th 10, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
michaelsurles

Thanks jack, I read all about vista and xp file sharing and permissions
when researching issues. Once I created the same administrative user on
both machines and gave full control to them on Users directory and lower
files, It is working just fine.

Thanks,
Michael

--