Help with Remote Assistance

Old March 12th 10, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Blue Max

Default Help with Remote Assistance

We seriously need help making a Remote Assistance connection. We have some
senior family members who really need our constant assistance, but we cannot
connect. Here is a little background:

FIRST, the connection is being made over the internet, with an invitation
and password, not within a local network.

SECOND, we can successfully make a Remote Desktop connection to each of the
computers involved. If we can successfully configure Remote Desktop, then
why not Remote Assistance, which uses some of the same communications
protocols?

THIRD, we can succesfully communicate with Windows Live Messenger. However,
if we choose the remote assistance option with the same contact, we cannot
connect. Ironically, the connection appears solid in that one contact
successfully sends a request and the other accepts the request, but the
connection always times out or fails. The dialog suggests that the other
user may have closed the Remote Assistance session, but they have not.

FOURTH, could this be a subtle firewall issue since we can connect in so
many other similar ways, but not with Remote Assistance? Does MSRA.exe have
to be allowed through the third-party firewalls? It seems we have even
tried this before without much success. I imagine, if we have allowed
remote assistance in the 'Remote Settings' dialog, that the Windows firewall
is properly configured to run MSRA.exe, correct?

We would really appreciate some advanced help in resolving this problem!
Remote Assistance is promoted as the friendly lifeline for even the most
novice users. Yet, as an advanced user, we have only made one or two
successful connections over the last 4 years - not a real confidence
builder. If you have any advanced knowledge on configuring Remote
Assistance, we would welcome your help!

Old March 12th 10, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bobby Johnson[_3_]

Are all the computers running Windows 7 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows XP
x64, or what?

Old March 12th 10, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bobby Johnson[_3_]

Old March 13th 10, 03:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Ed.[_2_]

I no longer mess with Remote Assistant. I now use TeamViewer. It's free
and much better. I don't install it nor have the other person install it.
During Setup we just click on run and not install. Have the other person
give the IP address it shows on their end and the password for you put in
your end and BINGO.

Old March 13th 10, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
TeamViewer is actually a subset of UltraVNC.
The difference is that UltraVNC being stand-alone needs to be set with port
opening on the Host side.
TeamViewer bypasses the issue by using their own Server as an intermediary.
I.e., like Logmein and others someone else mitigates your traffic.
Remote Desktop/Assistance, and regular UltraVNC are direct connections with
No 3rd party intervention.
My approach is. If someone can set the system on the other side, I would go
with the Direct approach (Remote Desktop/Assistance, or regular UltraVNC).
Otherwise, I default to TeamViwer or logmein. Whichever seems to be more
suitable to the issue at hand.
Control wise, straight UltraVNC provides the highest level of control.
http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Old March 13th 10, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Blue Max

Sorry, I forgot to include this essential information. Over the years we
have tried all these versions of Windows. However, more recently we are
trying to make the connection between computers running Windows 7
Professional (64-bit), Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit), and Windows Vista
Home.

Thanks,

Richard

Old March 15th 10, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ultraelf

I use Remote Office Manager try it
it is include RDP

--