First Windows 7 PC arriving Soon and Have Questions

Old March 17th 10, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

Default First Windows 7 PC arriving Soon and Have Questions

Hi, today I ordered a ZT Affinity Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz 1GB Radeon 5450
Blu-Ray ROM Desktop w/ Windows Professional 64bit.
This will be my first Win7 PC. What should I do before using the PC
everyday?

I'm thinking drop the DVD\Blu Ray player to a very low drive letter, setup a
permanent swap file.
and I'd like to partition the 2TB HDD. Do I need third party software to
partition a Win7 HDD?
What else would you do to set up this PC?

Thanks,

Sam

Old March 17th 10, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Leroy[_13_]

For expert Windows 7 advice, please post your inquiry in the appropriate
Windows 7 Forum:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ult.aspx?tab=2

Old March 17th 10, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
mikeyhsd[_4_]

download and install security essentials from microsoft.

excellent virus program which also does trojans and even root kits.

check for updates for all your hardware before loading too many programs.

Old March 17th 10, 01:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
compuwhiz93

mikeyhsd@newsgroup

"Jack" jack@newsgroup wrote in message
Hi, today I ordered a ZT Affinity Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz 1GB Radeon
5450
Blu-Ray ROM Desktop w/ Windows Professional 64bit.
This will be my first Win7 PC. What should I do before using the PC
everyday?

I'm thinking drop the DVD\Blu Ray player to a very low drive letter,
setup a
permanent swap file.
and I'd like to partition the 2TB HDD. Do I need third party software
partition a Win7 HDD?
What else would you do to set up this PC?

Thanks,

Sam

If you want to partition it, then its the first thing you will have
to do, use partition magic or a boot CD. remember to activate the
super administrator account. And enjoy your PC, its amazing

--
compuwhiz93

If you liked what i said(even if you didn't), click on the scale button
on the top right side. I need some reputation guys!!!
Compuwhiz93
Old March 17th 10, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

"+Bob+" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:30:39 -0500, Leroy wrote:

Why? He appears to like newsgroups and the fact that MS doesn't want
to provide on for Win7 is their problem, not ours.

I do prefer newsgroup but will also check out
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ult.aspx?tab=2.

Old March 17th 10, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

"mikeyhsd" wrote in message ...
download and install security essentials from microsoft.

excellent virus program which also does trojans and even root kits.

check for updates for all your hardware before loading too many programs.

OK, any suggests partitioning the HDD?
Old March 17th 10, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

If you want to partition it, then its the first thing you will have
to do, use partition magic or a boot CD. remember to activate the
super administrator account. And enjoy your PC, its amazing

--
compuwhiz93

If you liked what i said(even if you didn't), click on the scale button
on the top right side. I need some reputation guys!!!
Compuwhiz93

Thanks, I may have a copy of parition magic around here.

I'm unclear The boot cd. Can I make a book CD then use it to partition
the HDD?

I don't know what a super admin is but I'll figure it out.

Old March 18th 10, 04:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chuck[_2_]

I really don't like to partition. I'd rather install a second Hard Drive. That aside, your Dell will likely have a "hidden" partition that contains some sort of "as delivered" Windows 7 recovery copy.
Usually these are of limited use, since they will "brick" or go back to the original without any of the updates, app installs, etc.

Old March 18th 10, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

I like to my data separate from th OS and my camera and music files separate from everything else. Lot's of thrashing going on w/ a 2T HDD.
I really don't like to partition. I'd rather install a second Hard Drive. That aside, your Dell will likely have a "hidden" partition that contains some sort of "as delivered" Windows 7 recovery copy.
Usually these are of limited use, since they will "brick" or go back to the original without any of the updates, app installs, etc.I hear you but it's a 2t HDD.
Old March 18th 10, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jack[_14_]

Thanks, I'll check it out.

"Terry Heinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:48:37 -0400, Jack wrote:

If you want to partition it, then its the first thing you will have
to do, use partition magic or a boot CD. remember to activate the
super administrator account. And enjoy your PC, its amazing

--
compuwhiz93

If you liked what i said(even if you didn't), click on the scale button
on the top right side. I need some reputation guys!!!
Compuwhiz93

Thanks, I may have a copy of parition magic around here.

I'm unclear The boot cd. Can I make a book CD then use it to partition
the HDD?

I don't know what a super admin is but I'll figure it out.

I'm not sure because my hard drive was already partitioned into:
C: D: E: But I think Win 7 already has a partition prograam.
--

Terry Heinz.