HELP: Final Question About Hackers Stealing Files Via Wireless Net

Old March 20th 10, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
john ha[_3_]

Default HELP: Final Question About Hackers Stealing Files Via Wireless Net

Hello, my question is to verify if these statements are true,
I wanted to email these guys personally but
I understand it's better to share this with everyone.

The questions concern if hackers can break into my Vista computer
and access the hard drive's files,
if my laptop is wirelessly connected to an unsecured router
(meaning they connect to the unsecured router, and connect
to my laptop that's wirelessly connected to the router).

Also, I have not shared any folders
(so was wondering if with cracking admin access they could get around it).

The first is by Gene E. Bloch, who said:

"Even wihtout a password, someone with physical access to your computer
couldn't get to the Administrator (it's not called super-administrator)
account unless one of these is true:

1. The account is enabled (which it isn't by default), or

2. The person can log on to another account on your computer, either by
knowing the password or by that account having no password. In this case he
could enable the Administrator account. But see my disclaimer below.

Disclaimer: I think the operation in #2 requires an Administrator account."

First thanks Gene! Can you guys verify, is this true, meaning
both statements are right?

Secondly, Gene pointed out that, "I learned something I didn't know before -
but
it was from Russ SBITS.

It was the thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Administrator logon,
and it kind of invalidated my own post (boo hoo!). Now I have to figure out
if I can do that even though my own account logs on automatically. "

This was Russ' statement:
"When you see the Login Prompt
Do a Ctrl + Alt + Del and enter "Administrator"
Password blank
Then after you login as adminstrator.
do another Ctrl +alt + Del and change the password
then enter the Control panel / Users
and create Secure passwords for each user."

So now my question is, Gene said it invalidated his statement,
or is he referring to something else?

From what I understand, Russ is saying that if the Administrator account
is not enabled or setup, someone can remotely just ctrl+alt+del and enable
it like that? I'm probably misunderstanding this, can someone verify what
he's talking about?

Finally, I'm just trying to put my mind at ease
to understand if a neighbor hacker
can break into my Vista computer
and access the hard drive's files,
if my laptop is wirelessly connected to an unsecured router
(meaning they connect to the unsecured router, and connect
to my laptop that's wirelessly connected to the router).

I accidentally left the connection unsecured (it's been secured)
for 2 hours, and wondering if they could have broken in and
accessed/transferred/stolen
files that were stored on the hard drive.

Is it possible?

Thanks everybody for all your help!
This will be my last post about this,
but your responses will help me feel better!