Installing second copy of Vista hangs

Old March 23rd 10, 02:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
eldiener

Default Installing second copy of Vista hangs

I have a multi-boot computer with Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I have
an upgrade for Windows 7 Ultimate but I want to keep my Vista Ultimate
x64 bootup. So I try to install a second copy of Windows Ultimate x64 so
I can use that to install the Windows 7 upgrade. When I attempt to
install the second copy of Vista Ultimate x64, by booting from the Vista
x64 boot CD and directing it to install itself in a separate area on my
first hard drive, it starts up, says it is loading the drivers, goes to
100% on the progress bar, and just hangs there without going on.

Is there any solution so that I can keep my Windows Vista x64 and still
install the Windows 7 upgrade in another partition ?

--
eldiener
Old March 23rd 10, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
eldiener

I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
Vista, so this post can be ignored.

--
eldiener

Old March 23rd 10, 03:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_6_]

You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to
upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it is
not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from. This is
with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install it in the
partition you that contains the release you are upgrading from. It it is
also true that your Vista license is only for one installation of Vista
and does legally support two copies of it to be installed on the same disk
in different partitions,

Old March 24th 10, 05:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy

Not true you can install it on any drive on the same computer as the windows
vista resides on.
and dual boot it each os has its own COA and can be used as a dual boot
machine.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Old March 24th 10, 09:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andrew Murray[_8_]

I beg to differ on this issue, and "Curious" is right; you can't continue
using the O/S you're upgrading from, whether as a dual boot and certainly
not on a different PC. You would need to use the "full" edition licence
rather than upgrade to do the dual boot setup as described.

As far as I'm aware, that's always been the case for any 'upgrade' edition
of software where you're upgrading to a newer version of a product . In
most cases you wouldn't go on using the earlier version of say MS Office or
Adobe Photoshop etc, you'd probably install over the top of the existing
installation, or uninstall the old version, install the new and place the CD
in the drive when it asks for it (and this check is usually done); it
shouldn't be any different for operating system upgrades.