Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Forgotten Windows Administrator password

Old March 26th 10, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Pearl

Default Forgotten Windows Administrator password

My daughter has a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop. She recently changed
her password and promptly forgot what it was. Now all she can do is login as
the Guest account but is unable to perform many routine functions that she
had on the original administrator account. I know that there is another
local administrator account but can not access it and now she can't even get
into windows to change her administrative password. She does not have a
Windows Vista CD with this HP laptop and did not create a backup boot disk
for the password. Is there a way to login directly to the computer as the
local administrator (presuming that it does not have a password )....via boot
command prompt or something. Also, when we try to go into Safe mode with
command prompt, it does not work, either. Stumped.
Old March 26th 10, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Americano

*Hello. I believe one of these methods in the link enclosed should
help:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...password.html*

--
Americano

*Trying the Same Thing Over, and Expecting a Different Result =
Insanity*
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Old May 13th 10, 07:51 AM
doctormrli doctormrli is offline
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
My daughter has a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop. She recently changed
her password and promptly forgot what it was. Now all she can do is login as
the Guest account but is unable to perform many routine functions that she
had on the original administrator account. I know that there is another
local administrator account but can not access it and now she can't even get
into windows to change her administrative password. She does not have a
Windows Vista CD with this HP laptop and did not create a backup boot disk
for the password. Is there a way to login directly to the computer as the
local administrator (presuming that it does not have a password )....via boot
command prompt or something. Also, when we try to go into Safe mode with
command prompt, it does not work, either. Stumped.

When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account "Administrator" and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget your user account password then try this:
Boot computer and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice when you See Windows welcome screen / login screen. It'll show classic login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in username field and leave password field blank, press Enter and you should be able to login Windows.
Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel - User Accounts".

If it doesn't work, you will need to create a windows password reset disk by third party software. Then try this:

1. Enter a computer that can link to Internet. Download a third party program named windows login recovery and install it on that computer. Note that: there is a ISO image file. Burn the file into a CD or a USB flash drive.

2. Eject the created CD/USB and insert it into the locked computer.

3. Reboot the locked computer (it's necessary for you to change your computer's Setup to make it boot from CD drive or USB drive) and then followed the process of instructions. Just a few steps, the old password was removed.

4. Now login Windows and set a new password.