Help - setup file share between WinXP and Vista on a home network

Old March 28th 10, 02:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
User66

Default Help - setup file share between WinXP and Vista on a home network

It has been years, we have been transferring files between our home PCs and
Laptops in our home network. But as we updated our Laptop with Vista SP1 &
SP2, the network has become a one way only. We can transfer files to the
rest of the network PCs, but the Vista Laptop does not let us in. We do see
it listed in our network.

We had to re-format the laptop drive and as we loaded the Vista back again,
we were able to transfer files two way, but as the SP1 and SP2 update was
loaded, file transfer has become one way only. Did go through the setup on
the Laptop drive as we did before. What are we missing in SP1 & SP2
updates?

Appreciate help.

Old March 28th 10, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Firewall instructions.
Windows 7 Work Network,
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -
http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web...file-share.asp
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Old March 30th 10, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
User66

Hello Jack,

Thank you so much for the reply. Although I am used to with a two way firewall, such as Zone Alarm,
etc., but because of Vista file sharing problem, have not loaded any other firewall, except the
built-in Vista's own firewall. Wish it was a two-way firewall or is it?

Anyhow, we have tried just about everything, but Vista does not open the laptop for file transfer.
We did set the laptop IP address and the gateway common address etc. properly. As I said, it did
work until the SP1 update was loaded.

We have tried several times by reformatting the laptop and reloading the Vista, and it does the
same. Within the home network, the laptop can transfer files to the other PCs but the other PCs
cannot, and the problem starts after loading Vista SP1. The Laptop name shows up on the network but
cannot open anything.

Will definitely post any changes, if it happens. Thank you again for the reply.

User66

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote in message
Hi
Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd
party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted
to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040

Old March 30th 10, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Yeah Vista's Firewall is two way.
As a interim step, try to enable and let the guest share a folder with full
permission. Add the Guest account to the security too.
If it works you will be able to transfer files to this folder and then do
locally on the laptop the rest.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Old April 5th 10, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
User66

As you know, when all else fails, we revert back to old days. We ended up
breaking up the laptop drive into C and D drives and load WinXP Pro on
C: drive and the Vista on the D: Drive.

At least now we can transfer files to the laptop, while it is running WinXP and
of-course move files out while it is running Vista.

Went through all of your suggestions. Yes we added the Guest account with
full permission and the second drive also (since we have two partitions in our
laptop drive now). Under "Network and Sharing Center" everything is turned On,
except 'Media Sharing'.

Under 'Customize network settings', we have tried both 'Public' and 'Private'
location types - did not make any difference. Finally left it in the 'Private' mode.

Well, don't know what else can be done to open up in the Vista mode to make
the laptop open to transfer files from the Network group.

Will definitely post any other changes. Thank you so much.

User66

P.S. Tried both with Firewall turned ON and OFF. Did not make any difference.

Old April 5th 10, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
User66

Folks, found out the problem solution. The user must have a password to log in
in the user's laptop account. Otherwise the laptop account is visible but cannot be
entered from the network.

Got used to with the non password in our home network running on XP. I guess
we have to re learn our behavior with Vista.

Thanks for the suggestions.

User66