printer sharing on vista to vista network

Old March 30th 10, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
mikey61

Default printer sharing on vista to vista network

I have two m/cs running vista business 32 bit, a dell vostro 400 tower
and a toshiba satellite pro laptop. The laptop connects to the Dell
wirelessley and internet access and file sharing etc all work fine.

The tower is the file server and has a canon MP210 and an HP laserjet
1018 connected both via usb. Both printers work fine from the laptop
and are set up as shared printers for the network. Both have the "Render
print jobs on client computers" boxes ticked

On the laptop I have installed both of these printers as network
printers to be found on the Dell.

I can print fine on the MP210 from the laptop although it is a bit
slow.

When I print from the laptop to the HP this also is slow but clearly
shows the print job as cleared on the laptop eventually. On the Dell
however it shows as printing but never actually prints.

Once this happens it prevents me printing anything else from the Dell
itself even tho' it is directly connected to the HP, because the 1st
print job from the laptop has not completed. If I try deleting the print
job from the queue on the Dell it shows as deleting, but again, never
actually does..... so eventually I switch off the Dell and the HP
printer, refire both... then the held up jobs all print OK on the HP
automatically without any manual intervention from me.

I thought of installing a UPD (Universal Printer Driver)from the HP
website but there isn't one for the Laserjet 1018 (or that series). I
have seen a similar prob with XP and vista printing where the suggestion
seemed to be re-install the HP on the client laptop as a local printer
and then when asked for the port specify the HP printer network address
but it wasn't actually precisely clear that this was to be done on the
client.

One of the frustrating things is that everything worked fine when had
older latop running XP!!!!

Any suggestions please?

Also can I speed up the process?

Thanks

--
mikey61

Old April 3rd 10, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

In most cases, this is printer driver. Find the latest primer driver for
your OS.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Old April 5th 10, 10:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
mikey61[_2_]

mikey61;1670538 Wrote:
I have two m/cs running vista business 32 bit, a dell vostro 400 tower
and a toshiba satellite pro laptop. The laptop connects to the Dell
wirelessley and internet access and file sharing etc all work fine.

The tower is the file server and has a canon MP210 and an HP laserjet
1018 connected both via usb. Both printers work fine as direct connect
from the tower and are set up as shared printers for the network. Both
have the "Render print jobs on client computers" boxes ticked

On the laptop I have set up both of these printers as network printers
to be found on the Dell.

I can print fine on the MP210 from the laptop via the Dell although it
is a bit slow.

When I print from the laptop to the HP laserjet on the Dell this also
is slow but clearly shows the print job as cleared on the laptop
eventually. On the Dell however it shows as "document printing..." but
never actually prints out.

[...]

Thanks Bob

I have seen lots of occurrences of this prob elsewhere on the internet.
There have been a number of suuested remedies. I have currently even
lost the ability to print locally on the HP 1018 now after deleting all
printer files and re-installing following carefully the instructions
about when to connect the usb cable and power up etc. But that
re-istallation was using the original HP instn. disk and driver . I
believ the last time that I could print loaclly (if not from another m/c
on my network) was when I deleted everthing and re-installed from the HP
support website. I will do this again and see what happens. I believe
that it is likely that the problem of shared printing may lie with the
spooler. Other suggestions are to shut of UAC in Vista. I certainly
can't alter the printer settings to print directly ( only by sppooling).
When I do the system won't save the altered params but comes up with ...
couldn't be completed error 0x0000070c.

--
mikey61