Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine

Old April 6th 10, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mister Scary

Default sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine

"Rich Piehl" wrote in message
On 4/4/2010 12:16 PM, Mister Scary wrote:
When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
can see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up
under the PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back
when there were two machines running XP.

I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.

Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

http://www.eset.com

The printer won't show up with a standard BROWSE function even if printer
sharing is on.

You have to manually key the path to the printer on the Vista Machine
(ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) You must know the exact name assigned to the
printer by the Vista machine for it to be found by the network.

When I try this I get a Windows dialog asking for a username and password to
access the x64 machine.
I haven't set a username and password on the x64 machine. Are you sure this
method works with Vista
Home Premium?
It seams like a server functionality.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old April 6th 10, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rich Piehl

On 4/5/2010 7:46 PM, Mister Scary wrote:

"Rich Piehl" wrote in message
[...]

It worked for my Windows Home premium x64 and two XP SP3 machines. I
spent several months trying to figure out the problem, and getting the
login message

Also if you have left your Vista workgroup name as default you will need
to change the workgroup name on the XP machine to "Workgroup" under My
Computer/Properties/network ID.

Old April 6th 10, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
MilesAhead[_4_]

Mister Scary;1250792 Wrote:
"Rich Piehl" rpiehl5REMOVETHISFOR@newsgroup wrote in message
On 4/4/2010 12:16 PM, Mister Scary wrote:
When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
can see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up
under the PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me
back
when there were two machines running XP.

I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.

Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

'ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection'
[...]

Are you running Vista pre SP1 by any chance? If so, you may need to use
the work-around of creating a virtual port on the Vista PC. Create a
virtual port for LPT1 on the Vista PC and set it to the name of the
shared printer (e.g. \\machinename\printer)

--
MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
::
::