BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

Old April 5th 10, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Arico

Default BIOS SETUP UTITLY LOST

Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.

NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance boot menu.

When I press F10 I get the following;

Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
Partition:2
Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT

MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2

I don’t have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,

I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Old April 5th 10, 10:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

If you're getting that, then you're hitting the setup key too late. That
information is coming from the hard drive boot sector, meaning that control
has already been transferred from the BIOS to the hdd. BIOS access has to be
initiated before this point.

Are you certain that F10 is the proper key? The update may have changed
this. You'd have to consult with the BIOS supplier for details on changes
between the versions.

As well, upgrading the BIOS is rarely necessary unless you are trying to fix
a specific issue. Also, since many laptops have proprietary BIOS' from the
manufacturer, switching to a non-vendor supplied version may cause
additional, unknown issues. If you are unable to resolve this, the best
thing you can do is to revert to the original version.

Why is this holding you back from upgrading to Ultimate? If the existing
BIOS supported Home Premium, there's no reason it wouldn't support Ultimate.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"arico" wrote in message
Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.

NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance
boot menu.

When I press F10 I get the following;

Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
Partition:2
Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT

MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2

I donâ?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,

I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Old April 5th 10, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Arico

I updated the BIOS from acer website and since then I cannot find the BIOS setup utility even after hitting the F12 key.

There is another issue I recently changed one ram form 1gb to 2gb hence my notebook is now with 3gb ram, I did this on my own, since then I am getting one more error while booting [ media test failure, check cable] my hdd is in good condition, it seems I have to make few changes in the BIOS setup utility which I cannot access.

What if I change the OPTOUT to OPTIN at F10 will I be able to enter the bios?

-------------------------

"arico" wrote in message
Since I upgrading my BIOS (Phoenix technologies) V1.7 to V1.8, I can no
longer access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY MENU.

NOTE: the notebook is working fine, I can access the F2 boot and F8 advance
boot menu.

When I press F10 I get the following;

Edit windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path:\windows\system32\win load.exe
Partition:2
Hard Disk: 5c9d3909
E\NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT

MODEL: ACER ASPIRE 5735-4774. Vista. HP. 32. SP2

I don�?Tt have a backup, how to I get the SETUP UTILITY,

I want to upgrade to ultimate this is holding my back.

Old April 6th 10, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

The Optin/Optout option is in regards to DEP, it has nothing to do with the
BIOS.

Does removing the memory stick you added cause the system to go back to
normal?

Old April 6th 10, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Arico

I did remove this stick and putting back the old one, the 1gb ram but still I get the same error while booting, I have to direct the path to fetch the files from hdd and not check for a cd rom, now this is the setting which I can get only at the BIOS SETUP UTILITY which is lost.

I followed every step that was required for flashing the new BIOS ver, and now its lost. I tried hitting all function keys to see the result but non brought up the SETUP UTILITY.

How can I get the BIOS SETUP UTILITY thats on hitting the F12 key during post.

--------------------------------

Old April 7th 10, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

You may need to reflash it back to the previous BIOS version to regain
access. If the update instructions included backing up the old BIOS, then it
should also contain instructions on reverting to it. Otherwise, you will
need to obtain the original BIOS from the system manufacturer.

As an aside, have you considered trying a startup repair to get past the
boot options screen?

Be aware that this latter problem - the boot options screen - has nothing to
do with the problem accessing the BIOS.

Old April 8th 10, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Arico

I went to the acer service center, they solved the problem both the BIOS SETUP which I can access now and the error of " MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE " the charged me heavily though.

only its that I dont know what they did, but what ever they did they did it quickly, within five minutes.

thanks for your advice