4GB of ram

Old January 31st 07, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waldosr

Default 4GB of ram

I just installed an extra 2GB of RAM in my PC bringing the total to 4GB. My
BIOS is picking up the 4GB of RAM but vista says that I only have 3GB
installed. Any suggestions. I thought Vista supported up to 4GB
Old January 31st 07, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

32Bit version of Windows will only report ~3.2GB of RAM. The 64 bit will
show the full 4GB.

Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old January 31st 07, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waldosr

Thanks for your help. Is there better driver support for Vista 64-bit than
XP 64-bit. That is the main reason that I didn't purchase the xp version.

Old January 31st 07, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

Yes, there is better driver support than XP, but it is still very much
behind the 32 bit drivers. Also, here is a detailed article on the
subject, as well as a possible workaround:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....ight=4GB+limit

Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old January 31st 07, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waldosr

Ok i was looking at getting the 64-bit version and found this:
"All editions of Windows Vista 64-bit provide increased memory support
beyond the standard 4 gigabytes (GB) available with 32-bit editions. Refer to
the specific edition of Windows Vista 64-bit to determine maximum memory
capacity."

Is this a lie?
Here is the url
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

Old February 2nd 07, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Slugsie

Not exactly. 32bit Windows supports up to a maximum 4GB of addressable
memory. But that does not equate to 4GB of addressable RAM. The upper 800MB
or so is reserved for hardware paging of devices and such, and can't be used
for RAM.

--
/Slugsie

Old February 13th 07, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mikeynavy1

What motherboard do you have that shows all 4GB in the BIOS? I'm running
WIndows Vista 64-bit and it is my BIOS that is supposed to show all 4GB but
only shows 3.2GB. Therefore Windows Vista x64 only sees 3.2GB. I'm pretty
sure it's the motherboard...older Asus P5AD2-E Premium.

Old March 5th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waldosr

I am using a Asus M2N32-Deluxe SLI and now that I put x64bit version it shows
4 Gigs of Ram. I still feel that it is false advertising on Microsofts part.

Old March 7th 07, 05:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Jain

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:52:31 -0800, Waldosr
wrote:

I am using a Asus M2N32-Deluxe SLI and now that I put x64bit version it shows
4 Gigs of Ram. I still feel that it is false advertising on Microsofts part.

Is MS advertising somewhere that you can have full access to 4GB on a
32bit OS?

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP