XP vs. Vista

Old April 22nd 10, 01:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill H.

Default XP vs. Vista

I wonder...

Are there settings in XP that control the login process? Is there a way,
when they log into the XP computer, to also and automatically log into the
Vista computer with the same userid/password?

--Bill

"Michael W Ryder" wrote in message
Bill H. wrote:
Also, when I'm at the XP and go into network places and click on "view
workgroup computers" I get a "workgroup is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resource." etc. Then, I click on
search and am able to find the Vista computer. I double-click on the
computer and am prompted for user ID and password.

Why is this connection not being made automatically?? And why does it
ask for userid and password?

I am not sure what is happening here but I started seeing that behavior
even with XP. My Vista computer connects to mapped drives on a Windows
2000 workstation and a Windows 2003 server. The computer has no problems
connecting to the workstation but I have to manually log in to the server
whenever I reboot the computer. This happened also with XP Pro before I
"upgraded" to Vista Business. One thing I noticed was that when I set up
the connection I logged in as UserA and had it save the password. When it
tried to log in the next time it had Computer/UserA for the username and
obviously the server could not find that user. I haven't tried setting up
a user Computer/UserA on the server to see if that would work but you
might want to try it.

--Bill

"Michael W Ryder" wrote in message
news
Bill H. wrote:
Have a small network consisting of one Win XP Media Center Ed. and one
Vista home premium (and an Internet router). The Vista crashed and was
restored to factory and apps reinstalled, etc. Each computer has
dedicated IP address, and each runs a version of Norton Internet
Security. They are in the same workgroup.

Prior to the Vista problem, all was generall well. Now, the XP seems
to lose network connectivity to the Vista computer when the computers
are turned on in the morning. This is important for many reasons,
including that the XP uses a printer attached to the Vista for most of
the XP's printing needs.

I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP, and have set
the NIS on Vista to allow all connections to the IP of the XP box. And
all is well until that reboot. There may be more to that, but in the
few days the rebuilt Vista has been up, that has been the story.

I have been able to restore the connection by launching Network Places,
and searching for the name of the Vista computer. It so far does not
show up in the network view until I do a manual search using the
computer name. Then when it comes up and I double-click on the Vista
C: drive, I'm prompted for login info, which I give and then I get
connected (why is this not automatically done for me?). I've also
mapped a drive to the Vista and set that for "reconnect at login."

Ideas/fixes?

How long is the period between when the Vista computer is started and
the XP computer? I notice with Vista it takes a short time after
starting before the network connection is available, even with fixed IP
addresses. You might try starting the Vista computer and waiting for the
network connection icon to show that it is connected before starting the
XP computer.

Old April 22nd 10, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill H.

Hi, again.

A couple of new issues on the XP computer. Now when I try to access
properties of the networked printer, I get an error about "print spooler
service not running." Yet, per admin, it IS running. I've even stopped and
restarted it, and get the same msg when trying to access printer properties.
IF I try to install a new printer, select local port, then select the
networked computer's printer port as \\station1\printername, it says all is
OK click finish, shows up as networked printer, yet printing a test pages
fails immediately.

Xp can see Vista hard drive right now, but Vista does not appear in network
places (but can show up if I search to the computer name). Also, Vista C:
drive is accessible, but the two attached printers (both shared) do not show
up, and they should.

So, any ideas? Their accountant has updated Quickbooks today on the XP,
but I don't see where that could be an issue.

--Bill

Old April 24th 10, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bill Kearney[_2_]

I have set up a user on Vista that matches the user on XP,

So consider using a domain instead. There's a lot to be said for how
Active Directory hides all this nonsense.

Meanwhile, check to be sure that all machines have their time AND timezone
sync'd together.

Old May 14th 10, 08:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
robinson[_2_]

Windows Vista has better look and feel than Windows XP.
Windows Aero in Windows vista is totally a different look with 3D flip features, transparent.
Windows Aero offers a sidebar which is transparent, in this sidebar you can place icons of your choice.
Security is increased in Vista when compared to XP.
XP has standard firewall but vista has both standard firewall and firewall with advanced features.
this helps vista to act as a true firewall which scans the data bi-directionally i.e both incoming and outgoing data is scanned.