User Data Backup and Restore - Help!

Old April 25th 10, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
NC Beach Bum

Default User Data Backup and Restore - Help!

I am working with a PC that has account and password issues so the user is
blocked from accessing his files. I have tried Orphcrack on the system but
it's not showing any passwords. The user tells me the system has been
acting odd for some time now and - of course - he does not have a backup and
to make it worse his tax information is on the system so he had to file an
extension to get time for me to do this recovery and restore. I need to
pull his files from the system to wipe, perform a clean install, setup his
account and restore his files. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

--
NC Beach Bum
Old April 25th 10, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
who

he does not have a backup and to make it worse his tax information is on
the system ...
What is the best way to do this?

Follow Rule #1: charge by the hour.

Old April 26th 10, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_3_]

"NC Beach Bum" wrote in message
news
I am working with a PC that has account and password issues so the user
is
blocked from accessing his files. I have tried Orphcrack on the
system but
it's not showing any passwords. The user tells me the system has
been
acting odd for some time now and - of course - he does not have a
backup and
to make it worse his tax information is on the system so he had to
file an
extension to get time for me to do this recovery and restore. I need
pull his files from the system to wipe, perform a clean install, setup
his
account and restore his files. What is the best way to do this?

Have you tried a penetration testing live CD like BackTrack?

If files weren't encrypted, it might be possible to use some of the
"Accessibility" programs running on the logon desktop. Some refer to
"Stickykeys" as sethc.exe (but actually 'set high contrast') you can
invoke a copy of cmd.exe renamed as sethc.exe from the logon screen.
Protected files need to be replaced in the resource protection cache as
well or they will be swapped at reboot and you are back where you
started.

Old April 26th 10, 03:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Michael W Ryder

NC Beach Bum wrote:
I am working with a PC that has account and password issues so the user is
blocked from accessing his files. I have tried Orphcrack on the system but
it's not showing any passwords. The user tells me the system has been
acting odd for some time now and - of course - he does not have a backup and
to make it worse his tax information is on the system so he had to file an
extension to get time for me to do this recovery and restore. I need to
pull his files from the system to wipe, perform a clean install, setup his
account and restore his files. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Can you mount the drive in another PC and see the directories? If so
you should be able to take control of the directories and then back them
up like any other files. I had to do this when a friend's laptop died.
I mounted the disk in a XP computer and took ownership of the files
and copied everything to a new drive.