ATI FireGL 5250 (IBM Thinkpad T60P)

Old January 31st 07, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Rudi Brochs

Default ATI FireGL 5250 (IBM Thinkpad T60P)

That's it for me!

I have tried five times to install Vista Business and Vista Ultimate on my
Thinkpad T60P. My ATI Mobility FireGL 5250 graphic adapter does not work
well with Vista. The Microsoft certifeid driver can be used, but every time
I start the machine I get a message saying "R300 Driver has recovered from
serious error, and have been restarted".

Lenovo have released ATI Catalyst driver, but using this is realy fatal.
After several messages about seroius error I get the blue screen. I can't
get it working.

All this, including the fact that it's not possible to make a clean install
just because I have an upgraded version have after some days now made me
hate Vista. I'm going back to Windows XP!!!!

I was expecting more from the WOW factor Bill!

RB

Old February 1st 07, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
LoneWolf

Rudi

Sorry that you are having problems with Vista.

We did tell you when you 1st brought up this subject
that your graphics adaptor would not have a
'Vista Driver'. It supports only Xp, Linux and W2k

Where Lenovo got a driver from is any-ones guess !

As for the 'clean' install, try at this site

and read carefully the instructions.

Although a 'custom install' can be done, it still won't
work on your laptop as the graphics adaptor is not
supported by Vista. Even the 'beta drivers' won't work.

Can you install an ATI Graphics card in your laptop ?
They do make super slim ones now, go to this site and
see what you can find.

http://ati.amd.com/technology/windowsvista/index.html
or
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/home.php
& have a look around.

Has IBM (site) made any suggestions ?

It's frustrating we know, & it's not fair.
The cost of progress is also the cost of new equipment.

best regards

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''

Old February 1st 07, 09:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rudi Brochs

OK, I have heard this. But can someone answer me this: When installing Vista
it picks up a driver for the ATI Mobility FireGL5250 from Microsoft,
unfortunatly this driver does not work eighter.

Please se enclosed picture of MS driver for this card installed.

RB

"LoneWolf" skrev i melding

Old February 1st 07, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
LoneWolf

Rudi

If you care to, and haven't done so already, please try this.
In Add/Remove Programmes, remove all ATI installations.
(ATI Uninstall Utility)
Reboot computer and see if a driver is loaded.
(hopefully it will be a VGA driver)
Re-install Vista and see if it loads the driver you mentioned.

I believe what is happening is that when you install Vista
it is picking up the driver that's on your system,
and not from the Vista DVD !? (even though it say
Microsoft, doesn't actually mean it's from MS)

I have searched ATI high & low and cannot find any
mention of a 'Mobility FireGL 5250 Driver', so
don't know where it's coming from. If Vista loads
the same driver again after re-installation, then
MS may believe that this driver will work, and as you said,
IT DOESN'T, and I believe you.

Other than that I don't know. See what IBM has to say.
E-mail them & ask what's the deal with your adaptor !

p.s. I can't see your picture of the MS Driver.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''

"Rudi Brochs" wrote:

OK, I have heard this. But can someone answer me this: When installing Vista
it picks up a driver for the ATI Mobility FireGL5250 from Microsoft,
unfortunately this driver does not work either.

Old February 4th 07, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
johnm

Don't even bother with radarsync.com

I checked out their "Vista driver" listing for ATI cards and the file name
was:
ATIv8.17_XP2K.zip

I guess they don't know what "XP2K" means...
I even d/l'ed it in case it was a typo and sure enough all the file
timestamps were from early 2005

look over some of their other "Vista driver" file offerings and you'll see
the same thing.

Old February 5th 07, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AK

"Rudi Brochs" wrote:

[...]

RB- Hide quoted text -

I installed the latest ATI drivers (from Lenovo's support site) and
they work fine with Vista Ultimate running on a t60p with FireGL 5250
card. I would suggest uninstalling all the ATI drivers/utilities
first, rebooting the system, and then installing the ATI drivers (from
Lenovo's support site). Make sure that you download the 32bit drivers
if you are running 32bit version of Vista.