Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   Free but excellent malware protection (http://www.vistabanter.com/180901-free-but-excellent-malware-protection.html)

Paul H May 6th 10 05:06 PM

Free but excellent malware protection

I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my W7
notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of
AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags give
Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings.

Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what do
they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld.

I would like to have real-time mal-ware protection - not have to run AdAware
frequently (a very slow process), and do the update 1st. Is there a better
free alternative?

TIA, Paul

Fuzzy Logic May 6th 10 09:38 PM

Free but excellent malware protection

"Paul H" wrote in
:

I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my
W7 notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of
AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags
give Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings.

Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what
do they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld.

I would like to have real-time mal-ware protection - not have to run
AdAware frequently (a very slow process), and do the update 1st. Is
there a better free alternative?

MSSE is rated the 'best' free product he

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/micros...free-antivirus

I have been running it on XP and Vista since it came out of beta and I am generally happy with it.

Americano May 7th 10 12:58 AM

Free but excellent malware protection

Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Paul H May 7th 10 04:41 AM

Free but excellent malware protection

I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. It found zero problems. Then I
ran my AdAware and it found 22 bad somethings. Hmmmm...

Hank Arnold May 7th 10 08:54 AM

Free but excellent malware protection

Yeah, but what did it find? A lot of what AdAware finds are tracking
cookies. Hardly malware.

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

FromTheRafters[_3_] May 7th 10 11:05 AM

"Americano" wrote in message

Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.

Malwarebytes doesn't do viruses, at least not yet.