Win 7 sharing question

Old May 7th 10, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Questor[_2_]

Default Win 7 sharing question

I realize this is a Vista group, but I can't seem to locate any MS Win7
group with my NG reader (TB).

On my Win7 machine (Win7 Home Premium)I have marked several folders as
being shared, and they remain shared at all times, but there is
absolutely NO indication of the folder being shared when viewed in
Explorer on that computer. In previous versions of the OS there has
been the 'palm-up hand" and the little 'whatever it is' in Vista but
nothing in Win7. Is it something I have to turn on somewhere, or is it
just that Win7 provides no visual indication of sharing on a folder?

Questor
Old May 7th 10, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Questor[_2_]

Found my own answer he

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-a5a06c2a79c6

I definitely agree with the thread - it was a very backwards move by MS
to remove the 'shared' icon.

The whole thread makes for very interesting reading.

Questor

---

Old May 7th 10, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave[_29_]

LOL, lots of sour grapes there....
BTW, there will not be any MSFT newsgroups for Win 7, or for anything else
soon.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

Old May 7th 10, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Questor[_2_]

I gathered that from the message from NNTP @ MS here in this NG. Darn
shame. I purely do NOT like web interfaces to anything.

Questor
Old May 7th 10, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Questor[_2_]

Old May 7th 10, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dave[_29_]

I'm using the NNTP Bridge, which works pretty good. It allows me to read &
post to the MSFT forums with Windows Live Mail. But I don't know it will
continue to work in the future.
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

Old May 7th 10, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.
Win 7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).