Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

windows mail not opening pictures

Old May 16th 10, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
paradisi

Default windows mail not opening pictures

in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures in
emails. – not attchments – the pretty pics used by most commercial
emailers – to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc etc

All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner

I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did)

Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked
TO Security does not have "block images" ticked
View "message in html" is greyed out

virus check was done since the problem started

anyone else having this problem? anyone got an idea how to fix the
problem

--
paradisi

Old May 16th 10, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
paradisi[_2_]

VistaRookie;1686950 Wrote:
Not sure where you see this...
View "message in html" is greyed out

Check Tools-Options-Security Tab
Make sure
Internet zone (Less secure, but more functional)
is checked off and not restricted site zone.

Internet zone is checked -

- the View drop down menu lists "Message in HTML" it is greyed out -

--
paradisi

Old May 16th 10, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
VistaRookie[_668_]

OK, that being greyed out is not a problem.

What happens if you embed an image and send
it to yourself - can you view it then?

paradisi;1686955 Wrote:
Internet zone is checked -

- the View drop down menu lists "Message in HTML" it is greyed out -

--
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
he
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)

Old May 16th 10, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
paradisi[_3_]

VistaRookie;1686956 Wrote:
OK, that being greyed out is not a problem.

What happens if you embed an image and send
it to yourself - can you view it then?

pictures embedded by me - work fine - all show up

sent to my account and my wifes' account - both work fine

--
paradisi

Old May 16th 10, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
VistaRookie[_669_]

Most likely, rather than them embedding the actual
image, the commercial emails are including a link in
the code to the image and something is wrong with
that.

If you have a friend capable of embedding an image,
you might have them send you one. If that works as
well, it has to be a problem with the "commercial
emails."

Sometimes if you are scanning emails with an
anti-virus, it might strip the email. Anti-virus scanning
of emails isn't necessary and should be turned off. If
it doesn't cause a problem today, it will farther down
the line.

Email scanning is redundant at best and harmful to the
email database at worst.

'OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3)
'Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight
Information Avenune Tutorial'
(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm)

The only way you would know for sure that is the
problem, is to uninstall your anti-virus and then reinstall
unchecking the option to scan emails, so it is turned off
during the reinstallation of your anti-virus.

Old May 16th 10, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Which antivirus are you running? Make sure it is not configured to
scan emails.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Old May 16th 10, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
paradisi[_4_]

Ive tried what you suggested - not scanning emails

just waiting on one to arrive with an embedded pic

the funny thing is the old emails that used to have pics - no longer
have the pics viewable

--
paradisi

Old May 19th 10, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
VistaRookie[_671_]

Steve,
He is talking about WM-View.
Greyed out is: Blocked Images
Greyed out is: Message in HTML Alt+Shift+H

I use nothing but HTML (without problems).
Never text mode. I have embedded images.
Both of those are greyed out. How would
one access those and activate those?

Steve Cochran;1688021 Wrote:
If View | Messsage in HTML is greyed out, then the message is not in
HTML and the redX's are not embedded images, since embedded images are
only in HTML messages. Try emailing yourself in HTML and insert an
image and see if you receive it correctly. If so, you might examine the
source code (CTRL-F3) of the other messages and see if thay indicates
how the images are inserted.

steve

"paradisi" wrote in
message news

Old May 19th 10, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
paradisi[_5_]

VistaRookie;1688085 Wrote:
Steve,
He is talking about WM-View.
Greyed out is: Blocked Images
Greyed out is: Message in HTML Alt+Shift+H

I use nothing but HTML (without problems).
Never text mode. I have embedded images.
Both of those are greyed out. How would
one access those and activate those?

the mail received is using HTML

the problem was caused by the browser internet explorer setting up a
proxy

I didnt do it and at the moment Im the only one in my house

once I got rid of the proxy all was fine again

BTW I havent used IE since I bought the computer

--
paradisi