Problems with Vista backup program

Old May 27th 10, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

Default Problems with Vista backup program

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
"David_2010" wrote in
message news

[snip]

I'm running the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner on the same 64-bit
machine as the task that's now reached 262 hours, with no usable
checkpoints since 70 hours. When it finally finishes, I'll be able to
apply
the recent updates on that machine and reboot it.It's shown 0% progress
since yesterday, still scanning mostly *.new files and the property files
associated with them.

Robert Miles

After running 24 hours a day for a few days, the Windows Live OneCare
safety scanner on the same 64-bit machine as the long-running task has
reached 1% of the files scan. Shouldn't it be relabelled as possibly
taking
a few months to complete?

The long-running task has now taken 285 hours; I've seen reports that
for similar tasks other people ran, it often took over 300 CPU hours.

Robert Miles

The log-running task finally finished after about 320 hours.

The Windows Live OneCare safety scanner reached 2%of the scan after
another two days; no time to let it finish at that rate.

Now have that machine disconnected from the internet, with all selectable
features of the antivirus program turned off.

Trying another new,full backup now. Could the change backup settings
button and the button to turn off automatic backup be changed so that
starting a new, full backup does not automatically turn on automatic
backup, since the version with automatic backup turned on seems to
have a limit of two DVD+RWs it can initialize, sometimes even less?

Robert Miles

Old May 27th 10, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
"David_2010" wrote in
message news

[snip]

The last backup attempt failed with this error message:

The backup did not complete successfully.

The requested resource is in use. (0x800700AA)

Backup time: 5/27/2010 3:53 PM
Backup location: BD-ROM Drive (E

It never made any attempt to format the DVD+RW I gave it, or as
far as I can tell access it at all.

Could this error message be revised so that it will say what resource
is in use, by what, and why a reboot is not sufficient to free this
resource?

Robert Miles

Old May 27th 10, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
"David_2010" wrote in
message news

[snip]

The last backup attempt failed with this error message:

The backup did not complete successfully.

The requested resource is in use. (0x800700AA)

Backup time: 5/27/2010 3:53 PM
Backup location: BD-ROM Drive (E

It never made any attempt to format the DVD+RW I gave it, or as
far as I can tell access it at all.

Could this error message be revised so that it will say what resource
is in use, by what, and why a reboot is not sufficient to free this
resource?

Robert Miles

My guess is that something has seized control of the DVD drive
and will not turn it loose even during a reboot. How can I check
just what, so I might be able to kill that process?

There's nothing running that I would expect to need a DVD drive.

Robert Miles

Old May 28th 10, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
David_2010[_2_]

Hello,

Regarding the problem you are having with the backup feature, I can
only suggest to contact the software provider.

Now, if you don’t want to bother with a dual boot system (Vista/7) and
others, you could use a 3rd party software that will do the job.
In your case, you have Norton Internet Security, therefore you could
buy an upgrade to Norton 360 which has backup features, such even online
backup. (but also on external HDD and other kind of optical media…)

I hope this can help.

--
David_2010

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the
Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
or the
Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

Old May 31st 10, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

"David_2010" wrote in
message news

Hello,

Regarding the problem you are having with the backup feature, I can
only suggest to contact the software provider.

Now, if you don't want to bother with a dual boot system (Vista/7) and
others, you could use a 3rd party software that will do the job.
In your case, you have Norton Internet Security, therefore you could
buy an upgrade to Norton 360 which has backup features, such even online
backup. (but also on external HDD and other kind of optical media.)

I hope this can help.

--
David_2010

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the
Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
or the
Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

I thought using this newsgroup was already contacting the software provider
(Microsoft).

The best I've read about Norton versions, Norton 360 is an older version
which is not fully compatible with the Windows Mail portion of Vista, and
I haven't found sufficient information about Windows Live Mail yet to be
in any hurry to switch to it.

Robert Miles