Am I getting this right?!

Old February 1st 07, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Greg

Default Am I getting this right?!

If I'm hearing things correctly, Microsoft has mangled the hell out of the
install, so the upgrade version of Vista will only install if the program
finds an INSTALLED version of Windows (qualifying product)?

Any technician with an ounce of experience knows it's ALWAYS better to do a
clean install, if it's a viable option. So if I'm getting this straight, we
can no longer pop in our previous OS CD during an install on a blank HD. I
guess I'm the only one that finds this forced install method terrifying. With
all the software varibles out there and my decades of experience (Yeah I have
Windows 3.0), I'm not getting the warm fuzzies or confidence in an upgrade
install.

Well, if that's the case, I'm going to strongly recommend people stick with
XP, or wait a couple Vista SPs and price reductions and pick up the full
version. The upgrade versions and this NEW forced install setup, read like a
disaster in the making.

Old February 1st 07, 01:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows Vista Upgrade - Secret!
http://www.instantvista.com/windows-vista-upgrade.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old February 1st 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kenneth Cummings

Hello again Carey,

I have posted to the Live OneCare site you mentioned to me earlier..

HOWEVER, I am NOT able to install the OneCare and/or to delete
the ZoneAlarm 6.7 using that procedure..

So, could I PLEASE ask you "-IF-" I could do a FRESH install of
my NEW Vista Ultimate (which I activated on January 30th by upgrading
from XP Media Center 2005) to "-delete-" my previously installed versions
of BOTH the Live OneCare and/or the ZoneAlarm 6.7 Security Suite which
are currently causing me problems/conflicts within my current Vista Ultimate
package that I previously activated on January 30th.

Can I AGAIN activate my Windows Vista Ultimate on the SAME computer
that I previously utilized to RE-INSTALL itself as a FRESH program to DELETE
these OLDER versions of both ZoneAlarm and/or the Defender (which seem to be
conflicting with each other)..??

Sincerely,
Ken

P.S. Thank you for your assistance/help..

Old February 16th 07, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
smurfboy W.VA.

in all versions, upgrades mean you have to have a previous version of windows
before you can install a newer one. Your best bet is forget upgrades and just
buy the full version, this eliminates the need to install one just to install
the other.