Keep favicon when creating shortcuts and saving them in folders

Old June 24th 11, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

Default Keep favicon when creating shortcuts and saving them in folders

I keep my Internet shortcuts in folders and would like to be able to
maintain the original favicon (that would otherwise be in Favorites).
Please tell me how to do this. All I usually get is the IE or Firefox
favicon.
Old June 24th 11, 05:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

five256 wrote:

I keep my Internet shortcuts in folders and would like to be able to
maintain the original favicon (that would otherwise be in Favorites).
Please tell me how to do this. All I usually get is the IE or Firefox
favicon.

Go into your unnamed web browser's TIF (temporary internet files) cache
folder and copy out the .ico files while visiting the site whose icon
you want to keep. In the shortcut's properties, change the icon to use
the .ico file that you saved. The TIF probably gets cleaned out
periodically which means the .ico files won't be there for use in
shortcuts and why you have to copy them elsewhere to they stay around.
Old June 24th 11, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:57:46 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

five256 wrote:

I keep my Internet shortcuts in folders and would like to be able to
maintain the original favicon (that would otherwise be in Favorites).
Please tell me how to do this. All I usually get is the IE or Firefox
favicon.

Go into your unnamed web browser's TIF (temporary internet files) cache
folder and copy out the .ico files while visiting the site whose icon
you want to keep. In the shortcut's properties, change the icon to use
the .ico file that you saved. The TIF probably gets cleaned out
periodically which means the .ico files won't be there for use in
shortcuts and why you have to copy them elsewhere to they stay around.

Thank you - that's clear. I wish this would happen automatically as if I
was creating a Favorite or Bookmark. Any ideas?
Old June 24th 11, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

five256 wrote:

I keep my Internet shortcuts in folders and would like to be able to
maintain the original favicon (that would otherwise be in Favorites).
Please tell me how to do this. All I usually get is the IE or Firefox
favicon.

Go into your unnamed web browser's TIF (temporary internet files) cache
folder and copy out the .ico files while visiting the site whose icon
you want to keep. In the shortcut's properties, change the icon to use
the .ico file that you saved. The TIF probably gets cleaned out
periodically which means the .ico files won't be there for use in
shortcuts and why you have to copy them elsewhere to they stay around.

Thank you - that's clear. I wish this would happen automatically as if I
was creating a Favorite or Bookmark. Any ideas?

Whether or not you get an .ico file to use as an icon for a site all
depends on whether or not they use an .ico file. If they do, it's just
another file from their site and gets cached in your TIF folder for your
web browser. Since all those files are temporary and since users tend
to configure their web browser or other utilities to clean out the TIF
folder, those .ico files are going to disappear. If you want to keep
them around, you'll have to save them elsewhere.

I suppose you could use a file sync utility to automatically copy .ico
files from the TIF folder to some ICO folder. However, I don't know a
file sync utility that is going to get triggered by a web browser so it
copies the .ico files at the time they appear in the TIF folder.
Old June 28th 11, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

five256 wrote:

[...]

The other problem I see is that if I already have icons in the TIF
folder, it might become difficult to know which icon is associated with
the specific shortcut (unless I clean out the TIF folder each time I
create a shortcut. Sounds messy to me.
Old June 29th 11, 09:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

five256 wrote:

[...]

- Configure the web browser's home page as "about:blank".
- Close the web browser.
- Purge the TIF folder.
- Only visit ONE site.
- Get the site's .ico file out of the TIF folder.
Old June 29th 11, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

five256 wrote:

[...]

How about just sorting the TIF folder on time/date?

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old June 30th 11, 04:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

five256 wrote:

[...]

Not sure how that would help find an .ico file in what could be several
hundred files in the TIF folder after visiting a few pages at just one
web site. I'd think sorting on [file] Type column would work better.
Then you just scroll down until you get close to where the "i"
extensions would show up in the list. However, if you've been bouncing
around a lot of sites and don't configure your web browser or use a
utility to periodically clean out the TIF folder, you could end up with
a lot of .ico files there and not which one goes with which site.
Old June 30th 11, 04:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

five256 wrote:

[...]

My assumption was that the person looking had created the icon only
recently (that's what I thought someone indicated), so the desired file
would be very near the 'recent' end of the sorted data.

When that assumption is incorrect, your analysis rules ;-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)